Lanos Sleeper

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CaffeineTripp

Lanos Sleeper

Post by CaffeineTripp »

We'll start off by saying that we're definitely not new to turbocharged engines, nor are we new to something that shouldn't go fast that does. Just as a background, skip if you want to, giving 4G64 2.4 liter motors a custom turbo set up, making a 4G37 go much faster than stock would allow, and swapping in a KL-ZE motor into an MX-3 to tear through even the turbo cars.
Now, it's onto the Daewoos. I personally have been interested in these cars for some time; mainly the hatchback, the exterior look. HBs, for whatever reason, have always had a place in my garage. We're curious about picking up a Lanos with the 1.6 DOHC (USDM of course) and giving it the turbocharged power it surely deserves. We know there are a lot of write ups out there for how-to-turbo, but reliability is a main concern as well, as is with all turbocharged vehicles; ball bearing vs journal, boost pressure, turbo size, so on and so forth.
Most of the turbo specs can be had around forums here and there with how they react, and how the effect, non-turbo engines. We're looking for insight as to how well the Daewoo 1.6 engines react to forced induction; their response to turbo size, longevity on stock/forged/different compression ratios, rods, camshafts, and so on.
Any help would be appreciated.
1990 DSM
1992 MX-3 KL-ZE
garridob

Re: Lanos Sleeper

Post by garridob »

Have you considered a swap to the larger 2.2 or 2.0 liter engines?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Personally I would aim towards the 2.0L engine due to the easy availability of parts and it has a much larger support.

It is very hard to say what the 1.6L will be capable of due to the fact that there are very few 1.6L Turbo projects that have a true "Daewoo" block

The 2.0L has been tested and has performed well up even as high as 1000hp at the wheels.

It is expensive to make that much power, but depending on how much you can do yourself a few grand will probably give you a healthy 375Whp if you go with the 2.0L

You can get raw 2.0L 8V Turbo blocks from a late 80's Sunbird GT, personally I think they are the best engine blocks, made in Brazil as opposed to our regular Australian blocks.

You can also get whole 2.0L 16V engines out of the USDM Daewoo Nubira.

Personally, I would grab a "seasoned" Sunbird GT Turbo block, open up the bore, drop the 8V head into the garbage, buy a 2.0L 16V head, buy 16V forged pistons, buy forged rods and assemble the entire engine with higher grade studs/bolts.

Personally I think this would be fine for 375 whp to 500 whp

Some factory turbo manifolds are available, but generally speaking they are shit.

Your better off making one yourself ( manifold plates available ) or have someone make one for you.

Personally I would suggest you don't use the factory management and jump right to a standalone
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Will the Nubira engine fit in the Lanos? Just a drop-in or any mods needed?
garridob

Post by garridob »

Lanos01 wrote:Will the Nubira engine fit in the Lanos? Just a drop-in or any mods needed?
Minor wiring stuff and you need the timing cover engine mount off the 2.0L. It's been a while, but there was also some mix-matching with the clutch/flywheel when I did my swap. No parts hunting, just mixing what you would already have.

I'm not sure if the 2.0 intake will play nicely with a Lanos firewall, but the 2.0L bolted right into my originally 1.5L Nubira.