ssssssstutter

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

headly

ssssssstutter

Post by headly »

Fear not !! its my engine I'm talking about, not the beastie boys (though it was a cool song). Short story is, the bracket for the crank angle sensor broke in my trusty 99 A15SMS woo. I got it out and glued it together (im sourcing another from a wrecker). To get it back in, i did a bit of a dodgy with a dremel grinder attachment (just wanted to test and confirm this is all it is). Car fired up, idled smoothly. When throttle is applied however, it starts a stutter and a bit of a backfire. CEL light comes on then goes once engine is back to normal idle speed. Bridged the connector and i get a code 64. From what I can glean from the various sites, 64 is Crank Angle Sensor (feel free to correct me), Im thinking the bracket may not be seated properly, or too far back and the sensor cant pick up the signal above idle. I wanna get the toothed crank wheel off but I dont have anyone to give us a hand.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it off ?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel
Expert

Re: ssssssstutter

Post by Daniel »

I've used the starter method. Worked great. Just a blip on the starter. Be prepared to switch off as soon as screw is free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zu5g95gpqo at your own risks!

But do you really need to remove the pulley to replace the sensor bracket?
headly

Post by headly »

yeah you cant (well i couldnt) get it in there without the wheel coming off. Theres a couple of metal dowels used to locate the bracket to the block as well as the 10mm bolt. I did the dodgy and ground the dowels down a bit but i just wanna confirm its in the right spot before i go and replace the sensor.

Thanks for the reply but !!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

headly

Post by headly »

dude you rock !
headly

Post by headly »

called those guys about that tool, they dont sell direct, only through a retailer...........who doesnt have a website :/ I did try the starter motor trick and it worked a charm, wedged the breaker bar between the sway bar join and the A bracket, disconnected the ignition from the coil pack, a quick flick of the key and it was done. My suspicions were confirmed, the sensor bracket wasnt correctly seated, now my woo is purrrrring like a pussycat once again !!
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

that is awesome. glad you figured it out!