Lanos 1.6l engine

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lanos01

Lanos 1.6l engine

Post by Lanos01 »

My '01 Lanos with almost 244k mi has a coolant leak from the head gasket at the flywheel end. Rather than going to the expense of replacing the head gasket and all that goes along with it (rings? valve job? bottom end bearings?), I am considering replacing the engine with a rebuilt or low mileage used engine. Does anybody here have any suggestions about my situation?

Thanks
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: Lanos 1.6l engine

Post by daewooluvr »

Lanos01 wrote:My '01 Lanos with almost 244k mi has a coolant leak from the head gasket at the flywheel end. Rather than going to the expense of replacing the head gasket and all that goes along with it (rings? valve job? bottom end bearings?), I am considering replacing the engine with a rebuilt or low mileage used engine. Does anybody here have any suggestions about my situation?

Thanks
depends on how much you want to spend. If you have the money I'd say go ahead and replace the engine as it would solve other possible issues with the given mileage.
If you're short on funds then replacing the head gasket is the way to go.

Are you doing the work yourself?
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Thanks for responding, daewooluvr. Although I would like to do the job myself, I don't have the facilities so I will have to have it done at a shop. I guess my main concern is how replacing only the head gasket might affect other parts such as rings and bottom end bearings. Also, the timing belt has less then 20k mi and not due for replacement for another 40k. Since I will be paying for the work, it makes better economic sense to replace the belt (with water pump and pullies) with the head gasket.

I will post the final outcome.
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Problem fixed for now. I used 'Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer' P/N 00209 ($35 at AutoZone) according to the instructions on the bottle. It mixes with antifreeze, so no need to flush. The car has been driven over 300 mi with no coolant loss yet. Of course I will keep an eye on it.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

i did that with an old van as a last ditch effort andit has been going for over a year. i can' t believe that stuff is any good for the system but it does buy you some time
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

The car now has 245k mi and due for timing belt at 280k. I'll probably replace the head gasket then if nothing catastrophic happens in the mean time.

Also considering engine replacement. I saw in another thread a suggestion of using a 2.0l from the Nubira. How easily will that engine fit into the Lanos? Any mods needed to do the swap?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

will need a different front engine mount, power steering mount, alt. adjuster and you lose A/C

Garrett (GSE_turbo can supply the various brackets)
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~