00 Lanos Won't Start

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

musicfire67

00 Lanos Won't Start

Post by musicfire67 »

Hello,

The strangest thing happened to my Daewoo yesterday, I was drving down the road at 65mph when the engine suddenly died. I coasted off the side of the road opened the hood and did not notice or smell anything.

The engine cranks but no fire. Ending up towing it back home. I am shocked that this happened when I was operating the vehicle on a highway.

I have looked at the forum for tips and tricks since I got my car 6 months ago.

What part on the car would fail like that to cause the engine to die. Could some of you point me into the right direction with this? I basically have 1 day to do this ( I called into work ).

I appreciate all help and suggestions for what may be the issue here. Are there common parts that fail ( coil )?

The timing belt looks in great shape ( when I bought the car I could tell the belt cover had been removed at one time before so the belt may be new)

2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 ecotech
auto
all stock

Thank guys

Joe
Daniel
Expert

Re: 00 Lanos Won't Start

Post by Daniel »

musicfire67 wrote:Hello,

The strangest thing happened to my Daewoo yesterday, I was drving down the road at 65mph when the engine suddenly died. I coasted off the side of the road opened the hood and did not notice or smell anything.

The engine cranks but no fire. Ending up towing it back home. I am shocked that this happened when I was operating the vehicle on a highway.

I have looked at the forum for tips and tricks since I got my car 6 months ago.

What part on the car would fail like that to cause the engine to die. Could some of you point me into the right direction with this? I basically have 1 day to do this ( I called into work ).

I appreciate all help and suggestions for what may be the issue here. Are there common parts that fail ( coil )?

The timing belt looks in great shape ( when I bought the car I could tell the belt cover had been removed at one time before so the belt may be new)

2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 ecotech
auto
all stock

Thank guys

Joe
What parts??

-Engine & habitacle fuse(s).
-Crankshaft sensor. Check for sparks at spark plugs while cranking.
-Fuel pump. Must start (bzzzzz noise) for 2 seconds at every ignition ON. Check fuel pressure.
-Ignition coil massive failure. Check for 4 sparks while cranking. Take opportunity to have the spark plugs removed to check their smell (fuel) and color.
-Timing belt snapped. Check through oil filling hole that front camshaft (exhaust) rotates while cranking. Then take compressions.

All that can be done in less than 1/2 day.
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

Update

The timing belt looks very new. I have spark at all 4 plugs however when I pulled number 1 there was a lot of oil build up. I cleaned the plug and tested spark it works. I can hear the buzz from the fuel pump when turning the key ON. There is a fuel pressure release when I push that fuel comes out. Fuses are good.

Any other suggestions?
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

quick note: I can spray starting fluid in the intake then turn the engine over. It does run for a short time with the starting fluid. Soon after I stop spraying it dies.
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

quick note: I can spray starting fluid in the intake then turn the engine over. It does run for a short time with the starting fluid. Soon after I stop spraying it dies.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

musicfire67 wrote:quick note: I can spray starting fluid in the intake then turn the engine over. It does run for a short time with the starting fluid. Soon after I stop spraying it dies.
Could be good news.
Check with a test lamp (12v/5w) that voltage is present vs ground on both contacts of injector's connectors, contact ON and injectors connected.
Check if injectors receive their pulses by wiring the test lamp across injectors contacts. (Lamp in parallel with injector still connected.) Lamp should dim blinking while cranking engine.

Does plugs are wet from fuel?
Last edited by Daniel on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

I have narrowed down the issue. After triple checking the fuses under the dash I discovered f14 engine fuse was blown. I replaced it. The car started and ran until I shut it off. The next time it would not start. The same fuse was blown again. I cleaned the batter terminals and the ground. The engine sensor fuse 15a keeps blowing. I can literally watch it blow after it starts then dies. Any idea why this particular fuse continues to blow?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Is it a Lanos?
Edit: sorry! already said.
There was a recall about wiring harness from ECU to engine bay that can deteriorate under carpet making a short.
Second on this board: http://www.automallusa.net/2000/daewoo/ ... calls.html .
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

I figured out where the short was. The fron O2 sensor wire harness became melted agaist the exhaust down pipe. Cut and fixed all 4 wires. The fuse does not blow anymore. Now the only thing I notice is the engine now ticks like the lifters are loose. It did not do that before.

Daniel- Thank you so much :)
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

God job!
Are you sure ticking sound is coming from lifters?
I can hear ticking sound from my injectors when bonnet is open. And from lifters too at start-up. It's not the quiter engine I've had.

You can try fresh 5w-30 + filter.
But oil build up at plug #1 is to investigate.
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

Thanks. Another issue came about when I got it running. Now I have no head lights or running lights. They were working previously but sometimes would cut out and I would have to pop the hood and tap on the fuse under the hood. This is crazy why this is happening now. I have triple checked all fuses. My only guess is the head light switch, I may have to bypass it. Any ideas with that?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

musicfire67 wrote:Thanks. Another issue came about when I got it running. Now I have no head lights or running lights. They were working previously but sometimes would cut out and I would have to pop the hood and tap on the fuse under the hood. This is crazy why this is happening now. I have triple checked all fuses. My only guess is the head light switch, I may have to bypass it. Any ideas with that?
Have you also checked fuse/relay holder contacts? And wiring underneath fuse box?
musicfire67

Post by musicfire67 »

I took the fuse panel from underneath the dash then realized there were no fuses for lights in there. Today I will take out the under hood fuse panel and inspect those wires. If it is the relays do I need specific ones to Daewoo? or do they stock these parts at the part store?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

The fuses & relay for lights are located in engine bay fuse box. If my info is correct you can swap head lamp and horn relay for a test as they wear the same 90229206 reference. Good part store should have them.