Timing belt stretched ?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

NubiraDellwoo

Re: Timing belt stretched ?

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

^ thanks... I'm fairly happy I got it sorted out :)

have a question...

approximately how much oil is removed (lost)...
if the cylinder head is removed ?

was wondering... because for some reason...
I'm having a difficult time reading the dipstick...
as the fresh oil seems difficult to read on the stick.

the fsm states 4.1 quarts for fill requirements...
But mine looks a little low after adding that amount.
was wondering if it should be a little more then 4.1 quarts ?

if you know... approximately how much difference for the residual loss ?
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I'm not sure about the specifics of your question, but if it seems to be low add a little bit and recheck.
I would take a guess that the factory specifics takes into account any residual oil which was probably cleaned away when you had the head off.

BTW, I usually go to 4L (4.2qt).
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
chriscomputers

Post by chriscomputers »

So, does anyone know what his actual problem was? I too now having clicking coming from my timing belt area even though everything only has 40,000 miles on it. Was it the water pump, idler, or tensioner making the ticking sounds? I am not driving the car the way it is and need to wait for parts to come in the mail before I do the repair.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

last time i had my timing belt changed and less than a thousand miles later had the same thing. turned out the belt was too tight and the the ticking was the water pump. they had to bust it apart again and do it all over, replacing the water pump again.
chriscomputers

Post by chriscomputers »

So, I started the process of changing out my timing belt. It did not break while driving. Anyways, I got ahead of myself and took off the old belt before lining up the timing marks. Could I bend my valves if I just turn the cam gears and crank shaft gears manually till they line up?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Remove the spark plugs, put a long 1/4 drive extension or screw driver in cylinder 1. Slowly turn the crank til it's below TDC. The. Feel free to turn the cams to th right spot and then bring the crank back to TDC.
chriscomputers

Post by chriscomputers »

Okay, I did what you said and then put on the new timing belt. So I have come across another possible new problem. After putting on the belt I went to turn the motor around 2 revolutions before setting the tension perfect like the procedure instructions say to do. Well, while I was turning the cam shaft gear I didn't realize that my tension was too loose and every now and again the crank was getting skipped. At a certain point while turning the engine I felt a lot of resistance so I stopped and noticed the problem. Could I have bent a valve? How easy is it to bend one? Once I felt the engine not wanting to go any further I stopped and rotated the crank to make up the difference. I now have the timing marks lined up perfectly but have not finished enough to start up the motor. I am just worried as hell that I messed up everything by not having the tension correct while rotating.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

It's possible but not AS likely to bend valves by hand or just from the spring tension of the valve
springs.The only thing you can do at this point is pull all the spark plugs if you haven't already and do a compression test.
NubiraDellwoo

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

chriscomputers wrote:So, does anyone know what his actual problem was? .
muh issue turned out to be a faulty idler. (chinese crap)
replaced that... and all was good.

I pulled the head and everything, thinking is was a bent valve again.
but guess that's what I get for over thinking it... again

I wouldn't suspect a bent valve unless the timing belt were to break or become loose.

btw... I did mine with the spark plugs in place.
that makes it harder... so take those suckers out
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
chriscomputers

Post by chriscomputers »

Good news, got everything put back together and the car runs great. So no bent valves from turning the gears manually. I've been driving the thing for 4 days straight and no issues or check engine light. The only issue I had was trying to get the tension for the belt set correctly. I had to remove my alternator to have enough room to get my wrench into the water pump. I didn't bother with a cam lock tool obviously. Thanks again for the info and helping me keep this car alive. 160,000 miles and still going. Even though it's old I still like my 99 lanos sport. Great on gas and fun to drive. This site is awesome.