Reno parts

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Integra2nr

Reno parts

Post by Integra2nr »

I want to increase the performance of my '05 Reno. I don't want to go turbo. Basic upgrades like an exhaust, header, intake and maybe even cams. I want a little more power and I want to increase the fuel economy of it. I have aftermarket sway bars right now, going to get the KYB struts and a front upper strut bar soon. Also going to get a bigger set of wheels for it. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2005 Suzuki Reno LX
2.0L w/ 5spd
SWT appearance package
BMS Sway Bars

1974 Toyota Hilux pickup
20r engine w/ 5spd
Old school slot wheels

Bone stock 2006 Honda CRV
garridob

Re: Reno parts

Post by garridob »

For handling you can make your car ferociously good for not much money if you are willing to tolerate a firm ride. If you arent willing to cough up crushed vertibre I can still help but it wont work as well. If you want to go low you are either going to have a crap handling car or you will be spending a lot of money on things like moving suspension attachment points and building custom shock towers.

For engine performance you are basically starting from where I did a motorswap to get. However, I do have a couple suggestions Ive tried personally. The stock intake is pretty bad. However, I should warn you that my cai, originally just an aluminum tube, was ridiculously loud. I will trade comfort for speed to stupid degrees and even I wrapped the whole thing in tape to muffle the sound. Your exhaust is probably different than the hodgepodge of 1.5/2.0l Nubira stuff I have so I won't comment there. That said, the biggest single improvement Ive seen so far came from uniting the bigger 2.0 with the g16 (?) close ratio, 4.18 gearset that came in the Korean market Nubira 1.5 sport. An Aveo box or, better a Lanos sport box would get you the same effect. If you stay n/a the smaller boxes should cope fine. Torquey motors and short gears make for a lot of fun.
Last edited by garridob on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
garridob

Post by garridob »

One more thing, small diameter wheels are your friend for performance. Might I strongly recommend the fattest 15 inch rolling stock you can find. Big unsprung weight and large rotational inertias are bad on any car but horrible on a small car.
Integra2nr

Post by Integra2nr »

I don't want to lower my car much, if any. Winters and road conditions in sw pa are crap. Sway bars, strut bar and better struts are pretty much all I want for suspension.
If I were to change the gearbox, would it still use the same axles? Drop right in? Also if I decided to do an engine swap, what would drop right in?
I'm thinking of getting a nice set of 15's with 205/50r15 rubber.
2005 Suzuki Reno LX
2.0L w/ 5spd
SWT appearance package
BMS Sway Bars

1974 Toyota Hilux pickup
20r engine w/ 5spd
Old school slot wheels

Bone stock 2006 Honda CRV
garridob

Post by garridob »

For a mostly street application, I would recommend bumping up your spring rates as much as you feel comfortable with (250 lbs/inch is probably a good start) and getting some good struts. A stock front swaybar and the bigger aftermarket rear bar would probably get you some fun, tail out action when you want it. Big bars front and rear probably won't.

I think the axles are the same, but don't quote me on that. I'm basing all my observations on a 98 Nubira, which, while similar to your car, is not identical. If they aren't the same, you should be able to find a suitable set pretty easily off of a Daewoo or older Suzuki. The down side to a box swap is that you are going to be turning higher highway revs. The upside is dramatically better acceleration and some seriously snappy canyon carving. Oh, and if you decide to beat the living crap out of your tranny, the Lanos/Aveo box won't last as long either, so I wouldn't recommend it for drag racing. And yes, completely drop in. In my case, I had to mix and match the small box clutch and pressure plate with the 2.0L flywheel. You might be in a slightly different situation since you probably won't be able to find a Nubira Sport 1.5 box, which if I'm right, only came in the Korean domestic market.

I would also add that, looking around here, it seems much easier to make a Daewoo/Suzuki of this vintage a competitive autocrosser or track day car than a fast drag racer. Don't underestimate your platform when it comes to brakes and handling, there's surprisingly good potential in those bones.

205/50/15 will make a nice tire. If you want to be a little crazy, put some 225/45/15s on the front and leave the 205/50s on the back. It will look a little funny but that thing will stick like glue in the corners and create many funnies.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Integra2nr wrote:I want to increase the performance of my '05 Reno. I don't want to go turbo. Basic upgrades like an exhaust, header, intake and maybe even cams. I want a little more power and I want to increase the fuel economy of it. I have aftermarket sway bars right now, going to get the KYB struts and a front upper strut bar soon. Also going to get a bigger set of wheels for it. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The big question is how large your budget is for upgrades, you can get the 2.0L up into the 290bhp range in naturally aspirated form if you have enough money. ( SBD Motorsports ) http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Parts%20Catalogue.htm

Yes, the kits are for the C20XE, the older cousin of your Reno engine, but it's just an example of the possibilities in power production from these engines, there are companies selling performance parts for the X20XEV, which is the european equivalent of your Reno engine.

The U20SED should be capable of 8000rpm if one were to replace the connecting rod bolts and add stronger valve springs.

Getting the U20SED above that ( say 10,000rpm ) will require quite a pile of money as you likely need to use different crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons to be safe.

I don't seem to have the link anymore but there was one german company offering an engine upgrade to 12,000 RPM.

Power = torque X RPM / 5252

Quite simply stated, if you are making 130 hp and 130 lbft of torque at 5252 RPM and you double the RPM to 10,500 you will see the engine make 260hp and 130lbft of torque, assuming you can make the modifications to allow the engine to flow that much air.

So, there you have it in a bottle, power is very easy to come by if you have the money.

Right this very second I can point you to VMAX in germany who will prepare you a 750hp turbo C20LET which will drop into your Reno for the bargain basement price of 17,000 EURO.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos