Lanos Sport, completely puzzled.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

SteveMX09

Lanos Sport, completely puzzled.

Post by SteveMX09 »

Hello all, new here.

I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks now, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the wealth of information to be had here! It seems as though it may not be as active as it once was, but active nonetheless. I am a new Daewoo owner, I bought a red 2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport with 185,000 miles for $800 a few months ago. It's been a pain in my wallet so far, but I'm really diggin' it. So far, it's had a bad valve cover gasket leak, severe misfiring, two stuck open injectors, and fouled spark plugs. The most recent issue is a puzzling one. The car does not seem to be misfiring anymore, it purrs pretty evenly, but there is a strange sound coming from my exhaust (which has a hole drilled in the second cat) that is reminiscent of driving over aluminum cans. It's most prominent while accelerating, or just after I stop at a red light. In addition, since I bought the car, there has been a hard-start issue (it will usually take 10-15 seconds to start, sometimes two cycles) that I can't seem to figure out either. There is a hesitation while accelerating in first gear, I'll give it gas and let off the clutch, and it will kind of lazily coast forward and then kick in hard around 15 mph. That's accompanied by very slight, barely noticable hestiation throughout the other gears (almost as if the car is "panting"). Somewhat unrelatedly, my power steering pump blew a hose or something and I can't get my big hands in there to fix it. What's been changed and checked thus far is -

New spark plugs
new wires
new ignition coil
new valve cover gasket
new fuel injectors
new fuel filter
compression test read 160 psi on all four cylinders
fuel pressure test was OK at 45 psi
oil levels are ok
clutch is just fine, nicely worn, easy to use
chemical block test passed with no discoloration.

What in the heck could it be? I could use some of your vast experience, whoever is still lurking around here :) (i'll post a picture of it in the member's car section!)

Edit: there is a check engine light, throwing two codes, one for multiple random misfire, and one for fuel too rich or lean. I have a Youtube video of the car idling in neutral, so you can hear the strange noises. (They came out funny with my camera, but it is definitely coming from the exhaust, under the car.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orJtIh8 ... ata_player
2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport, 3D Hatchback, 1.6L DOHC, 185k miles.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Lanos Sport, completely puzzled.

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Does sound odd, but my gut feeling initially is an exhaust leak.

I know you might think that it sounds too strange for that, but I've heard similar noise when I had a loose manifold.

I don't know if the sound was being created by the gasket or what, but it was certainly a strange sound.

Seems strange that you say there is a hole in the second cat, are you sure the second O2 sensor is not missing ?

Missing secondary O2 would certainly cause strange exhaust and explain check engine codes
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: Lanos Sport, completely puzzled.

Post by daewooluvr »

yeah sounds like a leak to me. The second O2 on my HB is located in a bung on the exhaust pipe just after the pre-cat.

One difference is mine is not a sport but I'm thinking there was no difference here.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com