Lanos Catalytic Converters - Which to Replace?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Amethyst643

Lanos Catalytic Converters - Which to Replace?

Post by Amethyst643 »

I know I have catalytic converter issues since my '00 Lanos SX is giving me a few codes that say 'Catalyst System', plus it occasional has that rotten egg smell when pulling up large hills. I was going to buy parts and replace it, but then I noticed that I have two - both a front and rear - catalytic converters. Is there any way to tell which is causing the problem? Or do I need to replace both? Thanks in advance! 8)
KELLY BUNDY: "Quoth the raven, demi moore" - Edgar Bergen Poe
woo99SE

Re: Lanos Catalytic Converters - Which to Replace?

Post by woo99SE »

if you can separate each from the other all you need to do is to point one end towards the sun and try looking through the center(if possible) you should see a bright spot in the area you are looking through. if there is a bent in the pipe and you can not see straight through you need to visit a local shop and have it diagnosed. they have a tool that is inserted where the O2 sensor is placed in the pipe, the tool has a pressure/vac gauge if it shows pressure its clogged up, vac and its good.
rotten egg smell is associated with a bad CAT. CONV. but if the O2 is bad it will dump a lot of fuel and the catalityc converter will not be able to work properly and it will give you the same bad smell, same thing if the muffler is restricted in some way as well. make sure the muffler is free flowing and that the O2 sensor is goo as well.
if you don't want to crash some $ into the diagnose then run the car for a few minutes the cat. conv. will begin to make a weird sound and will start glowing cherry Red.

gl
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida
LeoTheLion89

Post by LeoTheLion89 »

The Lanos actually doesn't have two the cat is the front the one in the back is the pre-muffler there is a name for it i think its called the Resignator but not completely sure
DaewooDriver

Vehicles:
2001 Daewoo Lanos S Sedan
2001 Chevrolet Impala LS
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I, too, would like to question as to your certainty of there being 2 of the bastards.

I know you Yanks have to put up with some stringent emissions laws in some states - and I feel for ya - so it might well be that there are indeed 2 converters.

Perhaps a picture of the culprits would help - or some simple visual analysis. If it has a close-coupled cat. then right below the exhaust manifold you'll see what is essentially house brick-sized iron box, so look for that first of all. Then if there's a cat. further down the line you'd have to look underneath - roughly in line with the front seats - for an odd shaped metal box with a pressed-on outer and tapered ends.

Being a 2000 Lanos I would hazard a guess that it only has the latter as it wasn't until the end of 2000, beginning 2001 when they started using close-coupled catalytic converters for the sake of having up-stream and down-stream oxygen sensors.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

I'm in the states and I am pretty sure I have 2 O2 sensors. I think what he is talking about is the resonator. that is before the muffler but after the catalytic convertor.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Puddle31 wrote:I'm in the states and I am pretty sure I have 2 O2 sensors. I think what he is talking about is the resonator. that is before the muffler but after the catalytic convertor.
Same here, both my current Lanos (2001) and my previous one (2002) had two oxygen sensors - only the 1997-2000 Lanos over here in the UK has a single sensor, like most older GM/Vauxhall/Opel motors.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
LeoTheLion89

Post by LeoTheLion89 »

There is 2 O2 Sensors on a 2001 Lanos? The only one I see is on the exhaust manifold. BTW here is how the layout is, from front to back:

Exhaust Manifold
Flex Pipe
Resonator
Muffler

The flex pipe bolts to to exhaust manifold, then a pipe connects the resonator and the flex pipe together than another pipe connects the resonator to the muffler.
I just had my Lanos in the shop on Monday (june 22) to get the brakes fixed. I have a exhaust leak in my Flex Pipe and it will cost $205 to have it replaced. The code it throws is P03112 for the Cam sensor. That will cost another 195 to replace.
DaewooDriver

Vehicles:
2001 Daewoo Lanos S Sedan
2001 Chevrolet Impala LS