Radiator fan is not working and car is overheating

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

bathuu

Radiator fan is not working and car is overheating

Post by bathuu »

Hi guys,

I have an overheating problem with my 98 Lanos 1.5l. The radiator fan is not functioning and I haven't got a clue from where or how to start checking things. Does anyone have an experience with this problem?

Cheers
Daewoo Lanos 98' 1.5 SOHC 5d Hatchback, MT, LHD
Daniel
Expert

Re: Radiator fan is not working and car is overheating

Post by Daniel »

Does it overheat also when driving on highway when air is flowing trough radiator?
If you have airco, does both fans runs at low speed when airco is ON?

Strart by checking fuses Ef4 30A in engine bay and F19 10A in habitacle. Don't rely only on a visual check but do it with a ohmmeter.

Then check if the disconnected fan can run if 12V is applied to its terminals.
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

The car does not have aircon. The belt connects a/c compressor to the engine is missing. It only overheats or temp gauge goes over the centre mark when I rev higher /i guess over 2000rpm, but not sure/, i can't say at exactly how many rpm, because the car does not have a tacho.

I will check fuses with multimeter and try to connect fan directly to the battery.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

bathuu wrote:Hi guys,

I have an overheating problem with my 98 Lanos 1.5l. The radiator fan is not functioning and I haven't got a clue from where or how to start checking things. Does anyone have an experience with this problem?

Cheers
Usually there are two relays controlling the fan speed depending on two different sets of sensor data, where you live you shouldn't have to worry about the fan turning on and off.

In my opinion you would be best to simply wire the fan directly to an "ignition on" power source and let the fan run at all times when the car is running.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

What do you mean by
It only overheats or temp gauge goes over the centre mark when I rev higher
?

Where is the max needle position on this drawing?
temp lanos.JPG
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

Usually gauge needle stays in the middle between 2 and 3 (the centre mark), but when car was overheating needle climbed over 3 and fluctuated between 3 and 4 depending on revs.

Today, I have checked the fans by jumping them directly to the car battery and they work. I checked engine coolant temperature sensor by unplugging the harness and shorting the 2 connections, but fans do not work. Then i checked the fan relay fuses with a multimeter, it is reading some resistance over the terminals so I believe they are not faulty. I even exchanged the relays with different fuses that I got from wreckers, still don't work when temperature reached hot enough for the car..

So I decided to ditch the all these crap and am in a process of wiring them directly to the battery terminals.

By the way which "ignition on" source i should wire on. Can you please elaborate more about how to wire it. Thanks
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I think that 3 is 90°C and 4 is 100°C. Fans should be ON at low speed above 93°C.

Since fans stayed OFF when you shorted temp sensor connector pins, check for 5volts with a digital voltmeter between contacts on temperature sensor connector.
If no 5V check wiring to ECU.
If 5V check wiring from relays.

This should be your configuration.
relay lanos-1.JPG
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

Thanks for the replies, Daniel,

I checked Coolant Temperature sensor and it is not reading 5V. I don't know much about these electrical stuffs, so don't quite get the diagram.

Anyway, i jumped both fans to the "Ignition On" wire and now it is all good :ctf2: . Thank you for your help again.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Probably a typo but it's not the voltage at temp sensor you have to check but voltage at its wiring harness.
Anyway now you have the extra boost from propellers ;)
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

I know what you mean, it is actually me who should have meant that i have checked the wiring harness that connects to the sensor.

I hope those propellers have increased the engine power by at least 5 horse powers.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

bathuu wrote:I know what you mean, it is actually me who should have meant that i have checked the wiring harness that connects to the sensor.

I hope those propellers have increased the engine power by at least 5 horse powers.
For sure! Now you need to contact Civil Aviation Safety Authority to get your PPL now :lol:
;)