leaky valve gasket after rebuild...help!!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

leaky valve gasket after rebuild...help!!!

Post by jd daewoo »

OK. I recently rebuilt the head on my 1999 1.6l Lanos. I torqued everything per the service manual and in the correct order. I had been noticing some smoke around the exhaust maniford / cat converter interface after cutting the engine off when it reach operating temperature. Today when it reach operating temp at idle in park I noticed a puddle. Further inspection revealed a leaking valve gasket with oil running down to the ground. Fresh oil was along the entire front of the valve cover gasket where it meets the block. The gasket I installed was brand new. What would cause this? Could perhaps the valve cover bolts need retorquing because the engine block has expanded and shrunk (thermally) and the bolts are not at the appropriate torque now?

Thanks in advance.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: leaky valve gasket after rebuild...help!!!

Post by Daniel »

Don't overtight or you could wrap cam cover. 89Lb-in (10Nm) is what is needed.

I have never removed the cam cover. A mechanic has done it at first tbelt kit replacement at 56,000km. In addition to a new gasket he has put silicone blue sealant all around the groove in the cam cover. Still leakfree at 132,000km.
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

That's one thing I didn't do is seal with rtv , but I have always been under the assumption that rtv on a valve or cam cover was preference and not a requirement. No doubt that rtv will seal it as long as the proper amount is used lol.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Service manual ask for:
RTV.JPG
Just need to know what is "small amount" :roll:
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Well don't I look like a fool ;) I'll have to look, but the page I printed out didn't give that valuable info. It only gives the torque values and discusses the pattern to tighten the bolts ( or the order). This seems odd, but I guess I could have over looked it when printing it or the original scan was left out by the person who scanned it lol. I'm going to tear into it soon. Hopefully I can fix my boo boo without to much trouble. Ironically this isn't the first occurrence of said nature on this particular rebuild. Will teach you to read carefully and question everything!
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles