rebuild issues

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

rebuild issues

Post by jd daewoo »

I recently rebuilt the head on my 1999 daewoo lanos 1.6l. The timing belt broke and you know what that means. So I put new seals, valves, and gaskets in along with new water pump, belts, tstat. I lapped the valves and checked all the valve springs. Torqued everything per the manual. Now it runs great but is hard to start. I have to turn the key on and off several times as if it isn't getting enough gas. One it cranks it purrrs great. When I cut it off after it reaches operating temperature smoke comes out near the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter or interface. Any ideas on these starting and smoke issue?
Thanks. Also, cooling fans stay on even when engine is cold.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Quench

Re: rebuild issues

Post by Quench »

First guess sounds like the cam timing has gone out one or two teeth with respect to the crank. I assume you've already re-checked that the timing marks on all the timing belt gears still line up?
Can you tell whether the smoke is from non-combusted fuel, or could it be steam from leaking coolant?

Are there any schematics available for these cars?
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

I did I have an awful time lining the marks up, but I finally got them properly aligned. And I obviously didn't turn the e engine over until I was confident it was timed properly. Btw, I also forgot to mention once its ran for a while it cranks up perfectly until the fuel system depressurise (maybe 30 min). As for the smoke, I am not 100% sure, but it appears to be gas/exhaust related based on the smell and color. No coolant/oil mixture and plugs are clean. I have the service manual for this car and all the schematics that are in it as well.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Quench

Post by Quench »

Do your schematics cover the fan? The Lanos Service Manual I have doesn't. However the Lacetti Service Manual does and shows it's controlled by the "ECM" Engine Computer Management?
And the ECM uses sensors called ACP and ECT to power the FAN relay(s). Could it be that you forgot to plug in a sensor somewhere?
I wonder if one of these sensors is also related to actual engine management resulting in your starting/smoke issues.

Just throwing ideas out there..
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Not impossible, but improbable. I made a list of every single disconnect as a reference as to what to reconnect. With that said I got side tracked when re installing the head and didn't plug up the temperature sensor before I bolted the head on. I knew it as soon as I torqued the last bolt. Of course this made the fans run. I reconnected it and the fans acted normal. The about a month later they began to run continuously again.
In fear that I had forgotten something else, I rechecked my list as soon as I noticed the temp. control unplugged. BTW, for anyone that does a head rebuild on this car, try not to forget this connection. It is nearly impossible to see or feel and is very difficult to contort your hand to plug it back in :)
Reading in my manual, it states that the fans are controlled by the temp sensor and ECM. The fan is to operate (at different speeds) at temps from 194F to 207F (90C to 97C). The temp sensor also controls the instrument panel gauge. I believe this is still working properly as I have checked the IP gauge reading against an infrared thermometer. I understand this wouldn't be completely accurate, but should be close. I can't seem to find any reference to an ACP and ECT sensor on this vehicle.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

jd daewoo wrote:Not impossible, but improbable. I made a list of every single disconnect as a reference as to what to reconnect. With that said I got side tracked when re installing the head and didn't plug up the temperature sensor before I bolted the head on. I knew it as soon as I torqued the last bolt. Of course this made the fans run. I reconnected it and the fans acted normal. The about a month later they began to run continuously again.
In fear that I had forgotten something else, I rechecked my list as soon as I noticed the temp. control unplugged. BTW, for anyone that does a head rebuild on this car, try not to forget this connection. It is nearly impossible to see or feel and is very difficult to contort your hand to plug it back in :)
Reading in my manual, it states that the fans are controlled by the temp sensor and ECM. The fan is to operate (at different speeds) at temps from 194F to 207F (90C to 97C). The temp sensor also controls the instrument panel gauge. I believe this is still working properly as I have checked the IP gauge reading against an infrared thermometer. I understand this wouldn't be completely accurate, but should be close. I can't seem to find any reference to an ACP and ECT sensor on this vehicle.
Hi,

Depending of engine management you may have one temp sensor (single wire) for instrument panel and one temp sensor (dual wire) for ECM. Both are close to each other on the 1.6 DOHC.
Quench

Post by Quench »

Do you have a multi-meter?
Can you measure the cold and hot resistances of the temperature sensor?