DOHC Timing Belt bolt torques / water pump seal

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Quench

DOHC Timing Belt bolt torques / water pump seal

Post by Quench »

Hi,
I'm changing the timing belt (including the crankshaft and camshaft seals) and water pump on a Daewoo Nubira J150 with a 2.0 DOHC engine.

The manual states to apply "Lubriplater" to the sealing surface of the water pump. What exactly is "Lubriplater"? Is it some sort of sealant or lubricant?
I can only find a reference to a company called Lubriplate that makes lubricants with no reference to a product called "Lubriplater".
What alternatives are other people using?

Secondly, can someone explain the fastening torques that mention adding degrees of turn on top of the torque setting?
Example; the Cambelt gear bolts state 50 Nm + 60 degrees + 15 degrees.
The Crankshaft gear bolt states 145 Nm + 30 degrees + 15 degrees.
How exactly do the two separate degrees relate?
Do I torque the bolt the required torque Nm setting, let go of the ratchet, then tighten to the first degree setting, let go of the ratchet again and then tighten the additional smaller second degree setting?
Do I understand this right, if not can someone clearly explain it?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel
Expert

Re: DOHC Timing Belt bolt torques / water pump seal

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

I've used "Lubriplate" stuff in the past for medical equipment. It's a registered trademark of Fiske Brothers Refining Co.
But I've used silicon grease to lightly lubricate w/p sealing surface and Oring. May I insist on "lightly"?
Do I torque the bolt the required torque Nm setting, let go of the ratchet, then tighten to the first degree setting, let go of the ratchet again and then tighten the additional smaller second degree setting?
Do I understand this right,
That's correct. Try to squeeze each steps in a continuous, smooth action.
You need for this one torque wrench and one angular wrench.

However I've never understood why the angular torque for a single bolt is performed in more than one step. If someone could explain this I would be grateful.

Hope it helps,
Quench

Post by Quench »

Thanks Daniel, your help is much appreciated :-)

I'll go with the silicon grease as a Lubriplater alternative (I was tossing up between using lithium grease, silicon grease or gasket sealant).
I assume a lubricant is used to prevent the sealing surface from rusting and pitting..

The service manual mentions to replace the Cambelt gear bolts when they're removed. Does anyone bother replacing?
These bolts are no longer available where I am, but I've read that some bolts (not these in particular) which are torqued and angled are designed to stretch when installed and should not be re-used.
So has anyone experienced the Cambelt gear bolts snapping when they've re-used them?

Thanks again.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

The service manual mentions to replace the Cambelt gear bolts when they're removed. Does anyone bother replacing?
These bolts are no longer available where I am, but I've read that some bolts (not these in particular) which are torqued and angled are designed to stretch when installed and should not be re-used.
So has anyone experienced the Cambelt gear bolts snapping when they've re-used them?
I see that. However as I didn't removed those bolts I can't answer if they'll snap if reused.
As the manual recommend to replace them, I would do it.

A quick Google search with part reference found in manual "Daewoo 90466737" give several sources.
I'm sure you can get compatible bolts from other places providing they are of same strengh grade and dimensions.

If you say your location maybe someone near you could help?
Quench

Post by Quench »

Thanks again Daniel.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Ironically, I believe these engines were actually built here in my home town for Daewoo..
I'll do some more hunting locally tomorrow for the camshaft gear bolts.

BTW, I emailed Lubriplate yesterday and I just got a reply:
"The brand name of our products is LUBRIPLATE. We do not manufacture Lubriplater."

I'm still going to use silicon grease as you suggested.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

when you say "the bolts are no longer available", where have you looked?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Quench wrote:Thanks again Daniel.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Ironically, I believe these engines were actually built here in my home town for Daewoo..
I'll do some more hunting locally tomorrow for the camshaft gear bolts.

BTW, I emailed Lubriplate yesterday and I just got a reply:
"The brand name of our products is LUBRIPLATE. We do not manufacture Lubriplater."

I'm still going to use silicon grease as you suggested.
Haha! I see. It seems that they are picky about the spelling. But it is true that it is "Lubriplate" and the circled "R" stands for registered. Hence perhaps the confusion.
Quench

Post by Quench »

GM locally list part number 94500831 as the camshaft gear bolt for my Daewoo Nubira (according to the VIN). Yesterday they told me this bolt is no longer available and there's no replacement.

Today I asked GM about the camshaft gear bolt part number 90466737 Daniel suggested. We do have these locally. When I went in to check them out, it looked identical to what I have. They only had one on hand though, but I ordered two from the main warehouse to arrive over the weekend. Plus they're real cheap!

Thanks for the tip Daniel :-)
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I'm assuming when you say "GM locally" you are talking about your local Holden dealer?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Quench

Post by Quench »

Yep, by "GM locally", I'm talking about the main Holden dealer stocking parts locally.