head gasket thickness, piston to valve clearance

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woo99SE

head gasket thickness, piston to valve clearance

Post by woo99SE »

SO I'm still looking around for a nice HG. the first attempt ended in a bad note for me.
the HG I thought was mls . was not. the guy at the parts store said it was but was not.
in any case
I am considering buying a 2004 Aveo HG. it looks the same except fo 6 additional hole between pistons. 1&2, 2&3 and 3&4.

when I went to the parts store the Aveo HG is not visible from outside like the Lanos is.

I can go ahead and toss the $27 for the HG even if it doesn't fit but my main concern is If I would have a problem with the pistons hitting the valves due to the thinner gasket. IDK the thickness of a compressed stock lanos HG neither do I know the thickness of the Aveo(will keep searching for the thickness)mls HG.

please help

I've seen a lot of mods here I'm sure these members are not using stock HG for turbo ....
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida
woo99SE

Re: head gasket thickness, piston to valve clearance

Post by woo99SE »

well got the Aveo HG its a bit thinner so all I need to know is the valve to piston clearance, or else I'll have to notch the pistons.
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Are you trying to find a Lanos Head Gasket? Sorry. I'm confused :) If so, Ebay is your friend. I found a full gasket set for 40 dollars. It had every gasket on the engine and fuel pump.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
ls400x

Post by ls400x »

You won't have any piston to valve clearance issues regardless of the headgasket thickness you use.
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

Sorry for the late reply.
I tried to log on and the site was down.

any how
I bought a head set for Lanos and it comes with the Lanos thick black IDK what material it is.
But I had also purchased a 04 Aveo metal layer gasket.
I will be installing the head gasket soon so
You won't have any piston to valve clearance issues regardless of the headgasket thickness you use.
using the Aveo thin gasket should not be a problem? I know you said its ok I just need some reassurance :oops:

I have to drill a little dimple on the block to make space for the rivet on the Aveo hg but that is not a big deal.
it a little lip on the edge of the block no biggie.

thanks for your help
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

It will be important to use a dial indicator to check the piston-to-deck height clearance. The piston may come above the deck height surface.

The next step will be checking if the edge of the valves sets outside of the deck surface of the cylinder head. Then compare that with the valve pocket reliefs in the pistons.

So just to ask, you have an MLS hg from the Aveo? Where did it come from?
Also, don't modify the block to clear the rivet, just remover the rivet.