bad head gasket...nokidding!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woo99SE

bad head gasket...nokidding!

Post by woo99SE »

this is what I found out
and the magic engine block sealer

on the plus side the timing belt idler and adjuster are new. water pump looks new but leaked. a new tb is coming.

the block is going to the machine shop to be measured for warpage(hope its straight)
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida
woo99SE

Re: bad head gasket...nokidding!

Post by woo99SE »

Can someone please confirm the head bolts torque pleas.

I dlded the manual and it says 18LBs-Ft then 60+60+60+30(degrees

I keep seeing 18+60+60+30. which has 60 deg less than what is on my manual. I'll go with the manual any ways but I want someone's opinion who has done this more than once if possible(not because it was done wrong previously of course)
when I removed that head the bolts were loose only 1 was tight, so I am suspecting that the previous owner did a half a$$ job to say the least.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Unfortunately I do not know what car/engine you have and you don't have your location in your profile so I do not know how to answer your question, please be sure to include more information on your engine specifications when requesting help.

From the Daewoo Motor America manual information I posted in the Tech Specs the 1.6L DOHC (Lanos ) should be 18 lbft then 70/70/30 degrees

Under the Aveo specs for the 1.6L DOHC it shows 18 lbft then 60/60/60/10

2.0L DOHC (U20SED,T20SED ) it's 18 lbft then 90/90/90 degrees
2.0L DOHC ( C20XE, C20LET ) it's 18 lbft then 65/65/65 (GSE_Turbo)
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

I got a manual from a link here but it says 18Lbs Ft+60+60+60+10 .

My bad I posted 30 instead of 10 in the previous post.

now I am confused.

I know the head was not torqued correctly or that the engine overheated so bad the head bolts stretched out. I have not measure them yet.

so what is the difference between a Lanos 1.6 and an Aveo 1.6? I was under the impression they are the same engine.

I don't want to torque the head and end up overheating because I did not torqued to the right specs.

thanks.

BTW I'm sorry I posted over spanish help as well I think I added the info there. my bad.

sig is updated now :roll:
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

Not wanting to add more confusion but I found something else for a MY2001 1.6DOHC Nubira.
1.6 cyl hd blt.JPG
But since the torque for crankshaft pulley bolt is quite strange I would take the other values with care :evil:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

woo99SE wrote:I got a manual from a link here but it says 18Lbs Ft+60+60+60+10 .
so what is the difference between a Lanos 1.6 and an Aveo 1.6? I was under the impression they are the same engine.
sig is updated now :roll:

So we have for the Lanos three different numbers ...

18lbft - 70 / 70 /30 -- Total of 170 degrees
18lbft - 70 /70 / 50 -- Total of 190 degrees
18lbft - 60/60/60/10 -- Total of 190 degrees

Personally I think all three are close enough that it should be fine.

I would avoid using the old head bolts, I would strongly suggest you consider getting new ones.

The Aveo and Lanos are the same engine but it's possible there are differences between the following

1 ) Materials that make up the head gasket ( softness of metal, gasket thickness, sealing materials )
2 ) Head bolts may have slightly different materials ( hardness, elasticity of metal bolts )

Honestly, if it were me, I would drop by a Chevy dealer, pick up some 2002 Aveo head bolts ( take a Lanos one to compare total length at dealer to make sure they are very close ) and follow the torque values for the Aveo ( 18lbft 60/60/60/10 )

That's my opinion, but it's ultimately up to you, I don't think the minor differences between the values will be a huge deal.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

+1 ...good suggestions
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

I saw a different compression ratio between 2 of the 1.6iirc. IDK which is which. I can only guess that the different torque # could relate to different compression ratio. given that the piston might be a bit higher than the other. I think that this would make for a thicker HG.

and as for my car I really don't know if I have a 10.5:1 or a 9.5:1 CR.

I am buying a head gasket set with head bolts from ebay. I already got the HG and thermostat housing W/Tstat.

I think I'll go with the 18+60+60+60+10. since IDK how thick the felpro HG is I'd rather go a bit tight(if that was the case) than a bit loose. the FP HG is mls btw

BTW
has anyone heard of a warped engine block?
the machine shop guy told me HE has never seen a warped cast iron engine block(like ours). THAT the block would crack a sleeve or something else before it warps.

thanks everyone for all your help.
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

BAd news

I went to pick up the head gasket and what do you know. the damn thing is made out of some weird material. its not graphite,cork...
I looked over for a felpro head gasket "Perma Torque" specs and it says they are mls. WTH? its like a rubber or something and VERY thick I must say.
there is no insulation or protection over the water holes. and the tin for the piston chambers look so cheap and fragile. damn thing I say what a P.O.S

has anyone used FelPro HG 23685PT

I end up returning it. if it is going to be a non mls might as well buy it cheap over the net.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

A few good questions in there. Your motor is 9.5:1 for sure. All the Daewoo engines are.

As for the block warping. I can't say that surface irregularities are impossible, I've never seen it set. As for the cracking, the machinist is pretty well right if the block starts to twist it cracks between the oil pan surface and the gearbox in the corner of the block. That's pretty extreme tho.

At any rate. It's always good to have the block tested as well as the head.
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

I looked at the 04 HG aveo image and the difference are 4 holes between piston 2&3 an between 3&4.

but IDK for sure if it will fir. Im like 95% sure though but I need to be 100%.