Newbie with AC question

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

bad69cat

Newbie with AC question

Post by bad69cat »

Got myself a low mileage (but hurtin' Woo) 2000 Lanos that the PO has left the manifold loose on the AC compressor. I noticed this after I spent $25 on a can of R134 and could see the oil accumulate around the hose fittings. Is there supposed to be a gasket or some O-ring seals on those? I would think so - but the guy at the parts store can even find the thing listed in his parts (big shocker huh!) info. Any ideas or part numbers would be greatly appreciated! I figure it's shot, but I'll see if it tries to work before I commit to replacing the compressor and whatnot.....not sure I want to spend that kind of $ on it! THANKS!!
Puddle31
Super

Re: Newbie with AC question

Post by Puddle31 »

do a search and look for the Lanos Manual. There are a few topics with links to manuals. One of these mechanics will probably be able to answer your question, but if you need one now that is your best bet. I have a paper copy of all the manuals for 2000 Lanos but I have loaned them out to a friend so I can't look it up myself right now.
bad69cat

Post by bad69cat »

I got a dead end on one of the posts - I'll keep digging thanks!
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

if you can get under your car the hose is near the center of the car, just behind the engine and before the cabin. it's a small black rubber hose.
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

there is a sealer that is sold by auto parts, it even has that UV dye, but you already know where the leak is at. in any event I asked the manufacturer of the sealer and they told me that the sealer is only good for about 1 year. keep in mind that that is what they said.
you might want to check the brand of the compressor and find out if there is a rebuild kit. if $25 is about the right price for a can of R134 in your area(fixing the ac will be madly expensive), consider have someone fabricate a new hose for a new (other car) compressor, may be from a junk yard.
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida