Ticking coming from timing belt area, new tensioner?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

el_bichito

Ticking coming from timing belt area, new tensioner?

Post by el_bichito »

i changed the timing belt the tensioner pulley for the timing belt and a pulley for the serpentine belt, but i still get a ticking sound coming through the firewall, as if it was a a push bike with a peg or icecream plastic paddle against the spokes making a sound, i wanted to get rid of it, doesnt seem to be coming from the top of the motor, its coming from the side area, any ideas?
Daniel
Expert

Re: Ticking coming from timing belt area, new tensioner?

Post by Daniel »

For a static test, is this noise is present if serpentine (accessory) belt is removed, engine at idle and vehicle not moving?
el_bichito

Post by el_bichito »

ok thanks for that i will try that.
el_bichito

Post by el_bichito »

Hi i tried removing the accesories belt, but ticking noise is still there. i think its coming from the valve lifters maybe the ticking? or maybe a leak from the exhaust manifold? any ideas
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

nice nick! :shock:

if you suspect the lifter are ticking try finding out if you can buy either Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil both are great, I use MMO, its cheaper and does the same thing.
both are detergents for the engine oil. every car I have come across with ticking lifters I just add a bit to the engine oil and either one will clean them up in a jiffy.
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I hope you don't have the same problem I had, as this sounds similar to the Lanos I bought from one of the guys that use to frequent this forum.

The engine had this significant "ticking noise" like yours, mid to upper block, sounds like lifters but it's slightly louder and not coming from the top.

Initial diagnosis is that it was perhaps a bad rod bearing.

The previous owner drove it for something like 6-8 months with the ticking sound, I don't think he ever explained what happened but it really wasn't a big deal, I paid very little for the car.

You should read my posting on the issue, which turned out to be a bent connecting rod.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... g+rod+bent
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos