Bone Dry...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

Bone Dry...

Post by jd daewoo »

I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L DOHC. When I got it the car had sat for a year or so and I have since brought her back to life. Only I have one problem. It's overheating. I first noticed that the temperature gauge wasn't reading any temp so I verified it was plugged in and the I used a multimeter to check it. It checked out fine. So I pulled the thermostat and figured out why no temp was registering...the upper portion of block/head was bone dry of coolant. I tossed the T-stat in a pot of boiling water and it opened up fully and closed when taken out to cool. There is antifreeze in the overflow reservoir and in the radiator. I also noticed that the reservoir was building up pressure (as expected) and releasing it through the cap. So my question: Is the radiator or a line blocked or the waterpump completely shot? Or rather whats more likely?

Thanks.

BTW the head gasket is good.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: Bone Dry...

Post by Daniel »

-You can have a idea of water pump activity by looking in the surge tank cap removed. From cold you have to see coolant flow from small top hose. Big bubbles not allowed.
-Do you have good heat from cabin ventilation?
-From cold and within 15min idling, does the hose from tstat to radiator suddenly heats up indicating tstat opens?
diomc

Post by diomc »

It may be you have an air lock in the coolant system, try to back flush the system, is your heater working, hot air inside the cab, if not try to flush you heater core, i did mine on my Leganza and now it is really hot inside, no end of crap came out also i used Holts Rad flush 2 part flush. (it may also be the head gasget) take ex tank off and clean with soap and water also clean the ex tank cap, then flush out rad and all other hoses, also flush out the heater core hoses, a couple of times , outlet hose, inlet hose, see the crap come out. use the holts rad flush 2 part flush, Halfords £6.99.
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Solved: The water pump seals were shot. Works great now. Reason why I said it wasn't the head gasket is 1: I just reworked the head and 2: I did a compression test and it passed. Thanks for the help.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles