O.E. LeMans 1.6 liter for 1990 LeMans

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PoorBoyLeMans

O.E. LeMans 1.6 liter for 1990 LeMans

Post by PoorBoyLeMans »

I bought a LeMans a year ago for 100 buck. I love this car to death. great on gas, easy to work on, and its got a lil pep to its step. I havent gone all out on it tuning wise, but it does me just fine. Here lately, the engine has been nickel and diming me to death with repairs, most recently the cam froze up. i got that fixed, but now im looking for a 1.6 or pretty much anything to have ready when this poor little engine goes. Any help locating an affordable engine would be appreciated

daewwwlooo.jpg
1990 pontiwoo
(126.29 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: O.E. LeMans 1.6 liter for 1990 LeMans

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Lots of engines will work as direct drop in mechanically.

Problem is the electrical systems of the various engines are different, so unless your mechanically inclined and have a good ability to work on automotive electronics it's probably not the best option.

The engines that can be swapped into it are:

1.5 SOHC ( Daewoo Lanos - Canada )
1.6 DOHC ( Daewoo Lanos - USA )
1.6 SOHC ( pontiac lemans )
2.0 SOHC ( pontaic lemans aerocoupe, pontiac grand am, pontiac sunbird )
2.0 DOHC ( piles of cars, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Suzuki, Opel, Vauxhall, Holden )
2.0 SOHC Turbo ( pontiac sunbird GT )
2.2 DOHC ( Daewoo Leganza, Isuzu rodeo )
bunch of V6 engines as well

I'm not sure what the difference is between the electrical systems of the 1.6SOHC and 2.0SOHC, but it's possible that the wiring harnesses may be identical.

The 2.0 has more power/torque and there is allways the capability of droping in the factory GM turbo manifold should you want to make your Lemans incredibly quick

In short, there are lots of options, the 1.6L and 2.0L were available all over the world.

There are lots of companies with aftermarket parts, most are in the UK, but to be honest, it's really easy to get parts via regular mail if you have the right seller
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PoorBoyLeMans

Post by PoorBoyLeMans »

Seriously? Theres v6 engines that will drop in mechanically? So, the tranny in my lemans will bolt up to a number of engines, thats awesome. Electonically i can handle, but i dont have the equipment available to me for anything to intense. Ive found that the 1.6l that actually came in the lemans is very hard to find, so ill be picking your brain about things to keep her alive. I love my pontiwoo to death.
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

I've owned 3 Pontiac Lemans, including a GSE (with the 2.0 L engine). I'm not 100% sure, but in all my research with my Lemans flipping through the factory service manual, the only major electrical difference between the 1.6 (vin 6) and 2.0 L (vin K) engine seems to be the addition of a MAT (manifold air temperature) sensor to the 2.0 L engine. If you had a wiring diagram, you could easily wire that in. Also, it might not really affect the drivability too much without the MAT sensor.

I just did a brief search on http://www.car-part.com, and I found several 2.0 L (vin K) engines for around $400, so it wouldn't be too expensive to replace the 1.6 L with a 2.0 L at all.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project!
PoorBoyLeMans

Post by PoorBoyLeMans »

awesome, huge help. thank you
PoorBoyLeMans

Post by PoorBoyLeMans »

one more question, have you ever changed an automatic to a 5 speed? if so, what all is needed and what kind of work is involved?
CarSick

Post by CarSick »

See my LeMans thread here:
http://daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14226
The bulk of the work is complete, but I haven't driven it yet.

I could outline all that it takes to do the job, but I can tell you that the cheapest way to do it is to buy a parts car. If you bought a parts car with a blown engine for $500, you'd be money ahead. In fact, it would be easier to just put your engine in the parts car, unless the car was smashed up. In my case, I was primarily interested in making the car more durable for the type of abuse I intend to put it to, so I used one of the many non-LeMans transmissions readily available. Unfortunately, all of the other required parts are not available, so that's where the parts car comes in. Don't get anything until you locate a Manual Transmission Pontiac LeMans with the bulk of the little bits you need.

Happy hunting.
88 LeMans, Full SAAB 900 Suspension/Brakes, 1.6L Engine, Lanos 5 spd MT Conversion from 3 spd Auto, 273k miles