timing...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

timing...

Post by jd daewoo »

I have a 1999 daewoo lanos 1.6 L DOHC. Recently the timing belt snapped and I pulled the head and replaced the valves, valve seals, and checked the spec on springs. I also used lapping compound to grind in the new valves. Once completed, I reinstalled the camshafts in the correct order of course and was careful not to mix anything up. With the engine head setting on the work bench the mark on the intake side appears to be one tooth down from lining up with the exhaust mark. Is this normal or is there a problem? Using a wrench, the can and valves appear to operater correctly. Thank for any help.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: timing...

Post by Daniel »

Do you mean the intake cam gear won't stay in the desired position? That's normal.
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

I believe that's what I'm driving at. The exhaust gear marking is dead on 9 o'clock. The intake gear for timing purposes should be dead on 3 o'clock. However, with the head off and sitting on the bench, the intake gear is one notch down from 3 o'clock. So, when assembled does the timing belt tension hold the intake gear at 3 o'clock?
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »