first go round with 1.6 DohC timing belt swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mrpriceisright

first go round with 1.6 DohC timing belt swap

Post by mrpriceisright »

So, I just got a 2001 Lanos 1.6 dohc with 119.9k miles, and after reading up on the Lanos, due for a timing belt I figured! Thought the aveo would be about the same so read all the posts on swapping the aveo timing belt. oops, on starting the take down discovered it was similar but also quite different. the aveo has the engine mount moved to where the ps pump is in the Lanos. well got the other belts and crank pulley off ok, then the top timing cover, then the ps pump pulley, but even after removing the ps pump bolts, couldnt get the ps pump or pulley out (what - you have to remove the engine to get the ps pump out?). Back to reading Lanos t belt instructions. ok, so perhaps the ps pulley and pump stay in and wiggle the t belt through the 3/8" gap behind it. I had ordered the full kit with water pump, plus serpentine belt, water pump wrench, etc. but didnt have a long enough hex socket for the water pump recessed bolts, so proj on hold for new tools. btw, noticed that the old belt, while looking in good shape, probably had little if any tension, the pointer on the tensioner was way to the left of its mark. possibly either stretched or not tensioned when replaced. Have some reservations that the water pump can be removed without removing the cam gears, but the other write ups say it can be done, I hope so. Also haven't figured out how i will re torque the crank pulley since this is an automatic. any ideas welcomed!
benzino
Expert

Re: first go round with 1.6 DohC timing belt swap

Post by benzino »

mrpriceisright wrote: Also haven't figured out how i will re torque the crank pulley since this is an automatic. any ideas welcomed!
Either use a rattle gun or you will have to remove the starter and jam up the back of the starter ring
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

If you have a cover plate like this you can maybe reach the flex wheel to block it.
Cover plate.JPG
mrpriceisright

Post by mrpriceisright »

great ideas, I'll try them. I had bought the flywheel lock tool, but the starter looks extremely tricky to get at and remove.
Also can anyone confirm that the water pump will come out without removing the cam gears and crank gear (under the pulley) and are there 2 or 3 hex bolts to the water pump, I could only find two but read that the aveo has 3. I have it loosened a bit but waiting for the crow foot water wrench tool, I'd got one for the aveo,, thinking it would work on the lanos but it has a long handle and wont work. It just doesn't look as though the rear of the timing belt case will move enough with cam and crank gears still on the engine to get the water pump out. looks like I will have to make a hex key to retorque those bolts, the required lengh of about 3 inches is not common. thanks.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

IMG_0283 (600 x 450).jpg
Was not so easy but replaced water pump without removing camgears nor crankgear. But it was on a sunny hot day so rear plastic cover was flexible. Avoid nicks on W-P gear.
Three screws for the pump.

I remember a post here on our forum showing a method to block the flywheel by inserting two allen wrenches in a gap between plain alloy sump and block.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

mrpriceisright

Re: 1.6 DohC timing belt / ps pump / water pump

Post by mrpriceisright »

more great ideas. And a great pic, didn't know they put 1.6 dohc in the Nubira, however, I am very surprised that the 2000 Nubira appears so different to the 2001 Lanos - it looks more like the aveo than the Lanos. Don;t know if you have power steering, but on the Lanos with pwr steering it is right in the middle of the block end, thinking they moved it to the outer edges on the aveo and possibly the nubira. Also the rear timing cover is steel (wish it was plastic) and cant see the water pump mid section from above on the Lanos. Now I have loosened and turned the water pump taken off the tensioner and idler pulleys, removed the timing belt behind the pwr steering pump and loosened the other bolts, BUT, the power steering pump is stuck in a well in the middle of the rear timing belt cover, cant come out without dropping the engine in some way, and worse, prevents the rear timing cover from moving much (maybe .5 inch) and thus the water pump is not coming out. Need help and suggestions on how to get the power steering pump out or how to get the tbelt rear cover up enough to get the water pump out, prefereably without taking the engine out! Think I've seen suggestions about dropping the other end of the engine. Am I missing something? what is the best way to go? ( btw, it does have the cover plate near the flywheel, like that diagram). thanks
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

My PS pump is in front of block, above the airco compressor. And since my rear cover is made of flexible plastic I haven't to remove it to change WP 8) .

I'm afraid that in your case you have to remove camgears and rear cover to change WP. Get a new cam cover gasket and some specific gasket sealant to do the job right. And you have to support engine.

You could find a service manual in the FAQ section "Where to download service manual for Daewoos? ".
mrpriceisright

Post by mrpriceisright »

I will try and post a pic shortly, also maybe add to the excellent timing belt change thread by MMamoudh. After realizing that the water pump would not come out with removing the ps pump, I read the service manual instruction for power steering pump removal. interestingly for DOHC engine it says to raise the engine, for SOHC to lower the engine! So I removed the engine mount bolts (quite a pain unless you remove a rad fan). jacked up the engine about 3-5 inches, just enough to get the ps pump out. After that I was able to undo the top bolts on the back timing cover without removing the cam gears, with some manipulation the rear timing cover came off, and only then could the water pump be removed and replaced. I also marked the belt, cut down a 5mm hex wrench, used a dohc cam lock and thanks to the tips, removed the flywheel cover panel (shown in other comments)and used a special tool KM-6625 bolts on to lock the flywheel for retorquing the crankshaft bolt. now should only have to deal with a slight squeal on one of the belts, replacing a crumbled vent cover hose and diagnosing a CEL that started after the replacement, otherwise is running fine. Hope this will help others faced with Lanos replacement timing belt.