Engine ticking sound

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Engine ticking sound

Post by MMamdouh »

i have an engine problem...

whenever i rev the engine to say 6000RPM on second or third gear and then lift off i hear a ticking sound from the engine and it goes away after a minute of gentle driving or so and never comes back unless i go hard on the engine again... i am 90% sure it is a hydraulic lifter sound

i consulted my mechanic and he said this could be a weak oil pump and it fails to provide enough pressure to the lifters but i can only hear one lifter doing the noise so i was more inclined to a faulty lifter diagnosis rather than a faulty pump

what do you think guys...

can a weak oil pump do this?
is their a way to examine the lifters to detect/replace the faulty one?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Engine ticking sound

Post by gse_turbo »

your mechanic is right on the money.

I would start by doing an oil flush, not just an oil change but using an oil flush product. perhaps do it twice in back to back oil changes. use the minimum oil weight as suggest by GM, 5/30 I believe between and after the flush products. the light oil and flush products should beak down things that may be blocking the oil passages to the lifters.

If this gives you a noticeable difference, even if only a little then it is likely the lifters. you will have to try to use an automotive stethoscope to try and isolate which lifter it is.

if you do this and absolutely no change is noticed then it is most likely the pump.
MMamdouh

Re: Engine ticking sound

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the help man... i have gone with the flush option a month ago and nothing changed at all

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267