Engine Swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Tailspin

Engine Swap

Post by Tailspin »

Hi to everyone out there. this is my first post since joining. Right where do I start. I have just retired, so I think I will now have time on my hands ? . I have two Leganzas 00, and 02 the cam bel has just gone on the 02 car. I have sourced a replacement engine and would be greatful to anyone for a list of do's and don'ts. I also have a workshop CD but would much prefer the guidance of someone who has taken on this task before. Awaiting your reply with baited breath.

Regards

Tailspin
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Engine Swap

Post by gse_turbo »

Hello.

I imagine that you are wanting to do an OE/completely factory type replacement. I also imagine that you have an automatic.

start by removing the hood (obvious enough) the engine come out the top pretty easy. but start by drilling very small through the hinge, up into the the hood frame only. make sure not to drill through the skin of the hood. this is for quick and easy hood alignment when you're done. you can use the shank end of the drill bit as an alignment tool. you can bolt it back together and know 100% that is is in the original position.

if you do have an automatic then the swap is pretty easy. you can get to the flex plate bolts though and access port on the engine block just under where the crank case breather vent bolts onto the engine.

you wont have to disconnect the axels and the only engine/tranny mount you will have to pull is the one on the passenger frame-rail.

since you'll have the water drained anyways, I suggest removing the radiator for the extra room and to make sure you don't puncture it when the engine is coming out.

NOW...

if you have a 5-speed gearbox then it's a completely different story. it's easier to drop the engine and gearbox together out the bottom.

the swap is really easy, it's pretty straight forward.