1998 Leganza 2.0 cutting out

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Re: 1998 Leganza 2.0 cutting out

Post by Daniel »

benzino wrote:could be
the computer could be assuming that it is getting the exhaust gas when it isn't making it run like a pig

however, usually the problem is too much exhaust gas making it run lean, in your case though I'm not sure if it's getting too much or too little as I'm unsure of how the non-OBD2 EGR valves work
the manual has the valve but no solenoid and the auto has both and I'm unsure whether the manual gets a preset amount of Ex. Gas or if it gets none

maybe daniel knows :D
(maybe daniel will one day share his source!) :lol:
Daniel don't know :oops:
Daniel will share this one first http://www.anagabriela.ro/ 8) . Notice it's not always available. Get it quick ;) .
This one valid 4 days: http://demo.ovh.com/fr/e0a08e6bc6fbea67 ... 588d200fe/

Best source is always http://www.daewootech.com :D

Friendly,

Edit: Bonus http://www.pdftown.com/ 8)
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

here is a slideshow of original broken (ATM) engine upper intake works and wires..

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/ ... =slideshow
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/ ... ine003.jpg
this is where the solenoid should be located but I can't see if it's there or not from that angle... see if it's on the other side of the vapour solenoid
but,
1st thing you should do is pull the old TPS and swap them over, it's only 2 screws but they do have threadlock on them so make sure you use the right size screwdriver so as to not strip them
make sure you disconnect the battery when changing over
and then you have to do the idle learn procedure
5sec ign on;
5 sec off;
5 sec on then start;
warm to operating temp;
A/C on for 10sec;
A/C off 10sec; handbrake on, shift into D;
A/C on 10sec;
A/C off 10sec;
turn off car
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

thats the original engine, i dont have the opportunity to photograph the current ex-Nubira originally-MTM engine currently..

looks like I have a few things to work on, a few new things unfamiliar to me...Im uncertain if this issue began with or about time of the engine-swap or not, or if it sprang up subsequently..
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

lack of egr shouldn't be causing that sort of problem anyway...
too much egr would cause that exact problem though

swap the TPSensors and see if that helps
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

your sense is that the throttle-cable tightening adjustment and the replace TPC are good chances?

and the fuel pressure reg, what odds is that?

I had an issue with a personal trainer had an old Hyundai S-coupe Alpha-engine which was maddeningly refusing to start several times a week mainly when hot,I got a tip from what was probably a sister board of this one, to try Coolant Temp Sensor , turned out to be a good tip, the guy now thinks Im God.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

no sister boards... hahaha
there is no harm swapping sensors from the old engine

the coolant temp sensor is under the coil pack
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

In the hotter weather my car has started stalling every once in a while when coming to a stop at traffic lights

this is since I swapped the TPS to a spare I had of unknown history

so I'd say that your problem is very much related to the TPS...
I'll be going to another spare and see if it fixes it and if it doesn't I'll get a new one (the original one worked ok but when I took it off it looked like it had melted!) :lol:
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Changed the TPS to the spare I had and it seemed to get rid of the stalling (it was pretty intermittant before though)
still has the same amount of hesitation as before too...

how are you getting along? have you tried to swap the sensors yet?
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

no, Ive spoken to him on the phone about this thread, i usually only get to see the car now and then it was here 3 weeks ago for a couple of days because of the Freeze plugs, be ,so presently I will get a new TPS and stick it on , while paying attention to the points about it raised here..but no opportunity yet to take the first step..where does this thing locate again, although with the new replacement in my hand and the car there it should stand out..

I wish Id thought of this kind of board when he was having the mysterious issue with the oil light coming on and off and noone guessed what was going wrong, with a tip as Id have probably gotten here, we'd have saved his original engine cheaply..
for the sake of cracking the sump off and a $15 oil pickup strainer tube or even aggressively cleaning the old one...
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

do u know of a way to effectively clean old rust scale caked off the insides of a radiator overflow tank?

his has clean coolant in it now but its hard to judge the coolant colour and condition because the tank is so brown from previous times when it did have rusty water in it..
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

MatesLeganza wrote: I wish Id thought of this kind of board when he was having the mysterious issue with the oil light coming on and off and noone guessed what was going wrong, with a tip as Id have probably gotten here, we'd have saved his original engine cheaply..
for the sake of cracking the sump off and a $15 oil pickup strainer tube or even aggressively cleaning the old one...
when mine started playing up I just googled "leganza low oil pressure" and found the answer on the first page!
I don't mean to sound rude but why the hell was your mate driving with low oil pressure!?

any decent mechanic would have chucked on an oil pressure gauge and went for a drive to at least determine it wasn't a bad sensor
any mechanic would have at least guessed oil pump or bearings after checking it wasn't a faulty sensor, they would have pulled the sump to check the bearings and seen it was sludge

you sound like a good friend helping so much (if I were your mate I probably would have tried to squeeze some money out of the mechanic that said it was a mystery issue, probably blamed it on being a daewoo, huh?)

the TPS is located on the fire wall side of the throttle and on the throttle butterfly shaft

with the coolant tank, chuck it in the dishwasher, should clean it a little
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

no, never occured to me back then to Google the issue re the intermittent oil pressure loss, wish I had..I had no idea of the bizarre design of the oil pickups at that point, Id never seen any of these series engine with OP off b4..as soon as I did crack the sump off (this is after damage was already done anyway) the unusual shape design and involvment of that was obvious..
He did take it to a workshop but as far as I understand, as the vehicle wasnt oil light on while it was there, a flush was put through the engine, and all appeared normal, it was let go..whether an op test was carried out, dunno..how long b4 issue recurred, dont know, not long I dont think..damn shame the clue didnt come along in time to save that engines bottom end from outright failure...Id have just replaced the strainer, the BE shells, and probably it would have soldiered on even if it had incurred some accelerated wear already..
anyway, good news is as i told him, if it ever recurs with the new engine, we will immediately know the score and be able to deal with it...

I havent got hold of his car to have a go at these things yet, I will swap the CTS which will be wasy to find...where is the TPS located?

Beginning to wonder what role this EGR switch of an auto engine to a manual engine may have played, but I cant recall if the issue began immediately after the engine swap, or came along later..
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Mine wasnt the tps
it ended up being either the idle control valve or vacuum hoses... i did both at the same time so i'm not sure which one fixed it... lol

i cleaned the idle valve as well as the housing in the throttle body with degreaser spray

and a couple of my hoses were cracked

so, you need to check your hoses and clean the throttle body incl. the icv housing!
MatesLeganza

Post by MatesLeganza »

ok, so which part of it is the ICV what does it look like?

maybe Ill do some close-up pics just of the throttle body area..

btw the short steel or alloy pipe which comes out to the rear from behind water pump housing and takes one of the main rad hoses, I believe it is a replacable part (prone to rust corrosion damage ) is it difficult to remove once WP is out of the way, does it just pop out?