2001 1.6L Lanos weak up hill. Starvation?????

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

hoosierwoo

2001 1.6L Lanos weak up hill. Starvation?????

Post by hoosierwoo »

I have a 2001 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 Auto. I have been reading posts trying to solve my problem. My Woo is very peppy on take off and acceleration. My problem is when I level off at 55 to 60 and and start up any incline it seems weak and when i give it the gas it doesn't react much until it has to downshift then it gets peppy again. I have replaced to fuel filter, fuel regulator, and pump. Also the TPS and EGR. I replaced the head about 20,000 miles ago with a new timing belt. It idles great and runs smooth. Just seems like it is starving. Any suggestions????
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: 2001 1.6L Lanos weak up hill. Starvation?????

Post by daewooluvr »

Could be catalytic convertor blocking up.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

has it always been like that or is it recent?

could it just be that the hill is too steep for that gear...
if it was starving, even dropping down wouldn't help it
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

Just started a couple months ago benzino. It always lacked a little on the interstate on one hill i go up every day. This is different slight inclines make it down shift. It feels like I have to depress the pedal too much.
hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

Was thinking about the catalytic convertor. Don't know how to check and they are a bit pricey to just change.
Attachments
0828002017.jpg
(29.05 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

hoosierwoo wrote:Was thinking about the catalytic convertor. Don't know how to check and they are a bit pricey to just change.

The catalytic convertor which is located about half way down the exhaust can be replaced with a universal fairly cheap.

If you vehicle is equipped with two catalytic convertors then the first one right off the manifold is quite expensive.

It would be nice if someone created a flange that would attach to the end of the exhaust manifold that would enable us to use a universal for the first catalytic convertor as well.

hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

yea, I have the two. I can get a magnaflow for $238 on e-bay. The rear one I can bypass but the front one has an oxygen sensor before it and after it. I am going to try to remove it this weekend to see if it is clogged or if the element is broken. I was told I can soak it in a bucket with laundry detergent and water for 24 hours and blast it out with an air hose if it is clogged with soot. Will let you know what I find out.
Attachments
0509001016.jpg
(53.12 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

$238 isn't bad for the front cat.

hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

Not the cats. My problem has started to come and go now and I pickup a vibration when it starts. I think something is creating resistance. Had to park it till I find out what is wrong. Could it be the water or steering pump? What about the transmission's converter locking up when it shouldn't?
hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

This weekend I am going to try to identify the problem. I have the car jacked up in front. The timing cover off. I will fire it up and put it in gear and let it run until the vibration starts to see if I can figure out where it is coming from. The timing belt, water pump and power steering pump is exposed. Have a garden hose to use as a stethoscope to isolate any sound or vibration I hear.Will keep everybody updated until I figure this out.
hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

Well I found a problem where the drivers side half shaft connects with the transmission. Kinda looks like it is the bearing on the tranny. If that bearing has gone bad it could explain everything. Does anybody know if that is a GM automatic transmission in a 2001 Daewoo Lanos??
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

I don't know the correct # for the transmission but do a search and there are several topics that explain which one it is. It is a fairly common automatic transmission from what I remember. the answer is on this site somewhere.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

http://daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2492

this might be the topci for you......
hoosierwoo

Post by hoosierwoo »

Thanks Puddle31!!!!!!!!!!! IThe 4T40E is the exact transmission pan as mine. I have a friend at work that rebuilt my 700r tranny on my Monte SS and he wanted to know what tranny was in my woo. Now that I know, he can fix my Woo for me.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

That's great. I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.