2000 daewoo leganza SX cranks but wont start

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Woobaby85

2000 daewoo leganza SX cranks but wont start

Post by Woobaby85 »

Hello, i am having problems with my daewoo. first it wouldnt start..found oil in spark plug housing again..cleaned all oil up and such it started i drove it 30mins to work it sat for aprox 8hrs..started up just fine..drove home..next day wont start again..changed the valve cover gasket and spark plugs again..still wont start..couldnt hear the fuel pump engage so i bought a new motor thing cuz it was cheaper than the whole assembly..my mobile mechanic switched it out for me for free..i put the it back in connected it and now i can hear it engage but the car still wont start..got a brand new battery this morning and still nothing..cranking but just not getting that last push to turn over. I am sooo frustrated now. Here is a list of everything i have replaced on this car in the last year.
*Head gasket and all other gaskets *Valve cover gasket three times *Radiator *3 different hoses *thermostat
*timing belt(twice but it never broke just replaced cuz water pump went out twice) and its pulleys(tensioner as well) *Serpentine belt and its pulleys(tensioner as well)
*ignition coil pack *spark plugs(twice) *fuel pump *water pump(twice) *battery(twice) *harmonic balancer
the cam shaft position sensor was replaced for the recall before i got the car
i am just at a loss and currently on the broke side of life..all i can think is to buy a temperature sending unit, o2 sensor, crank position sensor, fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, egr valve, oil pressure sensor, ignition switch, pcv valve, the damned list goes on. Ive had this car 3 years now and its been the best car. it was a rental car before i got it. im just a single mom of 2 boys trying to do most of the work myself with finding instructions online..i have a great mobile mechanic who did the head gasket and other stuff. Sorry for the long post. i dont have a scan tool and the check engine light wasnt on before the problem started. i love this car and just want to keep it running its only at 155xxx miles. thanks for reading and any tips, tricks, or ideas would GREATLY be appreciated. i also check the pick and pull regularly for daewoos..so i can/have pulled stuff from there myself before.
Woobaby85-Kristal
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Re: 2000 daewoo leganza SX cranks but wont start

Post by Daniel »

Check that the fuel pump is correctly wired otherwise it will suck in place of giving fuel pressure.

Put a wired spark plug on a metal part of engine and check for sparks at cranking.
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

uhh i can check that its hooked up right but im pretty sure it only goes in one way..and i will check the spark plugs thanks =)
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

You can also try spraying a dab of start-pilot in air intake to know if the problem is fuel related.
Does engine/exhaust smells fuel?
Are spark plugs electrodes wet of fuel?
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

I did alot of checking around lol and when i pulled out the temperature sending unit it was fried..got a new one at schucks but the connector piece that connects to it is a little melted so im trying to find a new connector piece but with no luck
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-85100-Cool ... B000C5G8IG
this looks like the part i need but it says its not compatible with my Woo..Im done for the night..ill go to pick n pull in the morning and see if i cant pull one off another daewoo..wish me luck =)
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

ok so i got a replacement connector to the temperature sensor at pick n pull..now i went and got an odb 2 scanner from autozone with a $165 deposit! code pops up P1627 aux input output? what does this mean and what do i need to do to fix it..remember i am doing this myself..thanks =)
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1627
ECM A/D CONVERSION ERROR
There is a error in converting analog signal to digital values from some sensor.
This error does not prevent your engine from starting. Do you read other errors?
Check engine light is not turned ON by this code. You can reset it whith the scanner.

We still don't know if you have sparks at cranking.
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

when i pull the spark plug out and connect it to the wire then ground it to a metal part of the engine is there a specific color of spark im looking for? i reset the scanner yesterday and the code didnt pop back up. i pulled out the idle air control valve and it was heavily coroded with black stuff..it was flaking off so i cleaned it all up and plugged the wire back in turned the car to ON and it was moving so i know its working. put it back in. checked all the connectors theyre fine. another question i have is how can i check the fuel pump relay fuse? its just a big grey block so i cant tell if its broken inside like the clear little ones. but i can hear the fuel pump engaging when i turn the car to ON. thanks for the replies i really appreciate the help. =) oh and there were no other codes showing up from the scanner
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

The sparks should be bright blue when ignition is healthy. Weak orange is not good. Check all of them.

If you get sparks spray some "easy starter", "start pilot" or even pour a teaspoon of fuel in throttle body. Must start directly for some seconds.

That's a good idea having the idle valve cleaned.

Since you hear the fuel pump for two seconds when switching ignition ON the fuse & relay is OK.

What's car engine size? 2.0 / 2.2 / SOHC /DOHC

Edit:vocabulary
Last edited by Daniel on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

2.2L DOHC..charging battery cuz i killed it again trying to crank lol..its a fresh battery but i think im draining with all the cranking so i will definitely ground those out once i get it charged..im sorry i seem a little scatter brained and what not..im under a lot of stress and just want my baby back =) would a code pop up if the o2 sensor is bad? i already returned the scanner tho. i have a multi-meter my neighbor loaned me just not sure what to set it to and he said "i have it but i dont know how to use it" and theres no instructions in the box, weird. what should i set it to to check sensors/connectors and what voltage should i be getting? i think ima go to mechanic school lol everytime i go to the junkyard or my neighbors come over to talk to me theyre amazed im in there or working on my car myself probably cuz im 5'2" and 100lbs lol off subject i know..thanks again, the info youre giving is awesome!!
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Ok so when your battery will be charged try the suggestions I wrote. No need to crank more than 5~10 seconds.

A defective O² sensor can fail several ways and give error code + CEL. Even if defective it doesn't prevent engine from starting.

Good idea to follow a basic mechanic formation, why not? . In addition of this board there is alot to learn from the youtube files, except obvious jokes. Just enter some keywords and choose a clip. Exemple: "how to use a multimeter".

Keep cool, that's only a car watching for the good fix. 8)
Woobaby85

Post by Woobaby85 »

sorry had to go to work..but its getting spark..so i went back and checked the fuel lines..the 2 tire pressure looking things on the top of the engine no gas came out while cranking..so went back to the fuel pump..pulled the lines from the top and no gas came out..all i can think is the sending unit on top is bad and because i just replaced the motor inside that i need to get a whole fuel pump assembly..no luck at the junkyard so im trying to get one ordered today..ill keep yall posted..crossing my fingers a whole new assembly will solve the problem. thanks for everything will post again soon =)
Woobaby85-Kristal
2000 Daewoo Leganza SX
2.2L DOHC
155xxx mi
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Good news you have sparks.

Now, if you still hear the fuel pump for 2seconds at each ignition ON I see only 2 reasons why you don't have fuel pressure at pump outlet:

-not the good type/model. Should deliver at least 3.5bar.
-wired in reverse when changed.
opt786

Post by opt786 »

good buddy no need to worry about it

Performance Chips