Bad waterpump?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Puddle31
Super

Bad waterpump?

Post by Puddle31 »

I have a 2000 Lanos 1.6 and just had my timing belt package done for the second time at 100,000. It' been a couple of months and about 2,000 miles and i had some noise coming from the engine, sounded like the timing belt side, that was bad when starting and seemed to get slightly better when warm. It wasn't tapping like a valve, but was RPM related. It sounded more like a knock, but not steady like a valve. I took it in as a precaution and they are telling me that the water pump is bad! This new pump has less than 2,000 miles on it. I bought the whole package on line, timing belt, idler pully, water pump, etc and had the same guy do the change that did the last one. he did a great job previously with no problems. Anyone else had a pump go bad like this that quickly? A few weeks ago i saw my motor was running warmer than ususal and changed the thermostat. That seemed to fix the warmer than usual engine, but in hind sight I wonder if that water pump was the issue too? Is it possible to get a bad waterpump like that? This was $$ I certainly didn't need to throw out, especially after just having that job done.
chip18sw

Re: Bad waterpump?

Post by chip18sw »

Wow that sucks! But you need to get that water pump out of there asap! If it leaks and the coolant gets on the T- belt, your looking at a valve job, in all likely-hood. Good luck and sorry.
Puddle31
Super

Re: Bad waterpump?

Post by Puddle31 »

thanks, yes, already been changed. that was the problem. I just couldnt' believe it went bad that fast. the mech thought the belt may have been too tight. anyway, back on the road, leaking oil again out of teh brand new valve cover gasket!!