2004 optra problem

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Snafu

2004 optra problem

Post by Snafu »

Just replaced head gasket on car while doing so thought I would be smart and take all kinds of digital photos for ease of reassembly.Well things were quite easy anyway until I went to replace the cams.It turned out the camera didn't store any of the damn pics.If I am correct the cams on this car are exactly alike but the gears of course aren't. Now I didn't take the gears of so they are on the right cams but which is which? I put the car together and it backfire through throttle body and will not start.It also has a few small injector leaks that need fixing.
Do you think I have the cams on wrong sides?

Thanx
MMamdouh

Re: 2004 optra problem

Post by MMamdouh »

based on many pics i have... the intake cam has the circular holes gear and the exhaust cam has the oval holes gear.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

yeah, intake is on the intake side and exhaust is on the exhaust side.

your problem might not be the cams but the crank.
Make sure the mark on the crank pulley align with the marker at the same time the cam markers line up too
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

yeah tore it apart and everything is aligned right.Didn't think I could make the mistake but needed to be sure.The number one piston is at top center and all lines are aligned.Crank mark is small rectangle right? and it aligns with sort of arrow notch on bottom of guard pointing at floor basically.It seems to want to start but it is almost backfiring out throttle body.Poured a little gas in and same thing but didn't start. Have fuel pressure put noid light on injector wires checked spark ,had good compression before head gasket and ran well.With taking battery cable on and off would that set some anti theft device? If so how do I check and repair it?
Any help is appreciated.I need to get it moving.:cry:

Thanx
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Snafu wrote:.Crank mark is small rectangle right? and it aligns with sort of arrow notch on bottom of guard pointing at floor basically
this is the correct alignment diagram:

MMamdouh
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

it all looks aligned to me. tried starting it today and still backfiring(puffing)through throttle body.Actually started fire on air box. I had sprayed a bunch of throttle body cleaner in when I had intake disconnected.Could this be a cause of problem?Wires on wrong?

Hate this Car!
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

MMamdouh wrote:
Snafu wrote:.Crank mark is small rectangle right? and it aligns with sort of arrow notch on bottom of guard pointing at floor basically
this is the correct alignment diagram:

MMamdouh
My crank pulley doesn't have an arrow that I can see but it does have a small rectangular notch or indent that is painted white the same as the two lines on the cam pulleys(painted)
The repair of the head gasket should have been a straight forward repair but it seems with these cars it just snowballs all the time.The car is in excellent shape otherwise .
Having the cam marks as close as possible should be good right. I don't see anyway to be perfectly aligned as there is a little play there.Shouldn't the computer account for any small discrepancies?

What do you suggest I try next?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

your cams are off... the marks should be level

i suggest you refer to the how to section and read the instructions on the 1.6 engine timing belt job... it has some useful notes with regards to the cam alignment

MMamdouh
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Would laying a straight edge across them be good?
Will the engine run without the air cleaner hooked up on this car?ie throttle body not covered
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Snafu wrote: Will the engine run without the air cleaner hooked up on this car?ie throttle body not covered
yeah that's fine
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Snafu wrote:Would laying a straight edge across them be good?
i am afraid i don't understand... please elaborate

MMamdouh
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

no worries. Got it running.
on my engine I guess the timing marks on the cam gears go straight up and line up with some small marks on the timing belt back cover.Meaning both marks are at the 12 oclock position and the crank at the 6 oclock

.also for anyone that has a small tab on the tensioner that takes a hex key you can loosen the tensioner bolt and use a hex to align the marks for belt tension.Although you still have to move the water pump to get belt on.
I was pretty happy to see it turn over with out bent valves. I guess I got lucky like someone in another post on here.Now to sell it and try to get some of my money back.
Originally bought it for my mother who didn't want it after I paid for it so I am stuck with a car I don't need.
I almost gave it away when all this trouble started.

Thanks for all the replies and I really appreciate the site and all the help you give people.

Thank You