Lanos Engine Life

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lanos01

Lanos Engine Life

Post by Lanos01 »

My '01 Lanos has 176k mi, just replaced the EGR valve and (third) timing belt. Oil has been changed every 3-5,000 miles, new fuel filter a couple of months ago. The car is driven aprox 100 mi per day, mostly highway, and gives me 36-37 mpg.

My question is: About how many miles can I expect before the engine needs an overhaul?
broken

Re: Lanos Engine Life

Post by broken »

Lanos01 wrote:My '01 Lanos has 176k mi, just replaced the EGR valve and (third) timing belt. Oil has been changed every 3-5,000 miles, new fuel filter a couple of months ago. The car is driven aprox 100 mi per day, mostly highway, and gives me 36-37 mpg.

My question is: About how many miles can I expect before the engine needs an overhaul?
Good question Id like to know the answer to, as long as engine has been serviced regularly and looked after.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

I would be thrilled if i get that many miles out of mine! I'm about 92K and looking at my second timing belt in a few thousand. how did you knwo your EGR was bad? did you just change it with no symptoms?
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Puddle31 wrote:I would be thrilled if i get that many miles out of mine! I'm about 92K and looking at my second timing belt in a few thousand. how did you knwo your EGR was bad? did you just change it with no symptoms?
The CEL came on with three codes: P0137, P0172, P0405. (See my post "P0137 Code." http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=13704 ) One code said 'rich', another said 'lean' and the other sad 'EGR valve low voltage.' I cleaned the EGR valve and the stumble went away for a few days then returned. Another member of this board had posted a procedure for testing the voltages to the EGR valve and I got good readings on mine. In light of that, he later interpreted the three codes together as a bad EGR valve and recommended replacing it. So far, that appears to be what was needed.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

There are Lanos out there with half a million miles on them, the engines are hard to kill from a mechanical standpoint, most die from failure of timing belt or some combination of other items.

Hell, one of mine had a bent connecting rod and it still ran just fine, just a little less power than a normal one.

I have one with a dead oil pump, been driving it around the yard for a year and a bit without seizing it up ( Yet )

These things are like the old chev small block V8, they keep running and running, they eventually burn more oil than gas but you can get amazing life out of the engine if you simply take care of it.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh..... key is not just mileage, people get confused about timing belts as they need to be replaced every five years ideally because the rubber starts to dry out and crack.

So even if you only drive 10K a year you should still replace it around five years.

Yes, there are people who've gone 8 or 9 but that is just pure stupid luck.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Thanks for the reply, PB. As you can see, miles will accumulate much sooner than time. Good to know that with care, I can expect many more miles from this car. I plan to continue changing oil every 3-5k and timing belt at 50-55k. Maybe this one will get 500k!!!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Lanos01 wrote:Thanks for the reply, PB. As you can see, miles will accumulate much sooner than time. Good to know that with care, I can expect many more miles from this car. I plan to continue changing oil every 3-5k and timing belt at 50-55k. Maybe this one will get 500k!!!
All I wish you is to beat this one: http://www.nexiaclub.com/view.php?cislo ... 2005121101 ;) .
buddha1985

Post by buddha1985 »

just bout to click over 2ook on mine and still goes strong so it true the motors just keep going and going lol.
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

With 248.5k mi on my '01 Lanos, I just had a rebuilt engine installed. The original engine was leaking coolant from both ends of the head gasket. The engine was running fine - no foam in the oil or steam in the exhaust. I'm sure the compression was a bit weak, because it would bog on hills. If i only get another 100k, it was worth it.
mansoof

Post by mansoof »

I have 375000km on mine
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

I would say if you continue to provide the maintenance you do, expect it to go deep into the 200k mile range. It is impossible to predict what you will or will not need. The most important thing to focus on is the details, and correct them. If you stay on top of the tiny problems, they wont grow, and you will enjoy your vehicle more reliably for longer. BTW TC it is good to know that my write up on the EGR valve helped resolve your issue. One reason why me and my Father In law decided to dedicate services to the Korean market was due to the fact they are damn reliable, there is little support and information available to the community, and frankly those involved in the community for some reason or another just do not apply much effort to this side.

It is good to hear that you provide general maintenance to your Daewoo, and you will see a lot of life out of it. They are utilitarian workhorses.
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

we have here a lanos with 900K kms on the engine... as long as you are properly maintaining the engine it will last for many many miles

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
7-even

Post by 7-even »

900k!! Wow that's an impressive amount of mileage on the clock