Timing Belt

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gti_7

Timing Belt

Post by gti_7 »

okay Woo owners.. heres one for ya..

the infamous snapping belt.. in order to avoid this.. if i installed two or so headgaskets.. would this eliminate this? i know my compression ratio will go down.. but would added HGaskets eliminate the tendancy to break valves?

thanks
Bernard
[i also intend to force induce air at somepoint as well :twisted: ]
tango

Post by tango »

An interesting question. I suppose sooner or later adding enough gaskets will either give you clearance or cause you to run out of room on the ehad bolts! :lol: I'm gonna have to check around, perhaps do some calculations here and there to see how many gaskets would give enough clearance. It may take a while though. I'll need info such as comp ratio (present), bore/stroke, valve lift, and thickness of one gasket...if you have those details you can do the math yourself, if you like...in the mean time...stay tuned.
Cogito ergo sum...
tango

Post by tango »

Okay Bernard, here's what i found out. The valve lift on the 1.6L Vauxhall Vectra engine (note that it's not the same engine really because it is in fact a small block and the Lanos 1.6L is a big block...but let's work with it for now as a ROUGH guide, seeing that Vauxhall didn't have a 16v 1.6L big block) is 10mm intake and exhaust. My calculations (bore:7.874cm stroke:8.28cm comp ratio: 9.5 to 1) give me a volume above the piston (at top dead centre) of 46.7cc. This means that the clearance above the piston is 9.6mm. That's some 0.4mm LESS than the distance the valves require to open. I would be safe at say 12mm or so in extra gasket addition to get the required clearance. But listen....remember that my calculations are NOT accurate...they are simply ROUGH. The inaccuracy involves the valve lift...if you can find the valve for the Lanos 1.6 then I could re-do the calculations. Bear in mind that if your engine is an 8v you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.
Cogito ergo sum...