Couple of Q's New to Forum, Have a '99 Nubira

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mat777

Couple of Q's New to Forum, Have a '99 Nubira

Post by mat777 »

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, have owned a '99 Nubira in Australia for over a year, was thinking of selling it but selling our Commodore instead since the Daewoos cheaper to run, and newer. And since finding this site, they obviously have more potential than I realised! :o

Just a few things, I can't seem to see the pictures showing where the intake resonators are, keen to get rid of them!

ANd just another couple of things (sorry I have tried to look but I've losst patience trying to find answers and pictures), it had an oil blockage or something, the light came on when it got low and since then would come on and off and the engine would make the obvious ticking noise. Ran a flush through it and it still was doing it, till I left the oil cap off by accident and drove it for an hour, after that it seems good for at least 80% of the time with only an intermittent light.
Just wondering if anyone can confirm the Nubiras get blockages, etc, am thinking I will run another flush and maybe drop the sump to clean out any gunk.?.?

Thirdly, I have no dash lights and fuses have checked out, is it difficult to get to the globes? Or even to find the wiring and make sure nothing is loose. Thinking though, changing the light colour would be cool!

I appreciate these topics are porbably somewhere around but I'm not doing real well finding them! :oops:

Cheers, looking forward to getting the potential out of this car, I agree they aren't as bad as people like to say they are!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Couple of Q's New to Forum, Have a '99 Nubira

Post by gse_turbo »

welcome to the forum,

what size motor do you have in there? three different size motors have been used world wide. the 2.0 and 1.8 have intake resonators but the 1.6 does not.

I think dropping the oil pan a cleaning everything is a good idea. if I were you, I would replace the oil pump water pump and timing belt asap.

as for the dash lights, I have a 99 nubira myself and I don't recall it being too hard getting the dash out but I can't say for sure.

Garrett
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Welcome matt777,

Resonator is located behind front right wheel's splash shield.
At least on my 1.6DOHC Nubira.
IMG_0265 (400 x 300).jpg
mat777

Post by mat777 »

Ahhhhh! Sorry it's a 2 litre. How hard is the oil pump to change? The timing belt is only new! :( Actually it does make a winding noise when you first start it and then dissappears, it did it from the start only it stopped making noise when i twas getting blocked up all the time (just realising this as I'm typing), reminds me of noises I've hard pneumatic pumps making.

Thanks for the pic, I've just let off a bug bomb with the car in the shed as it's been sitting for ages and there's some suspect eggs in the engine bay, I'm not going anywhere near the engine bay till they're gone! :oops: Is there another resonator in the engine bay attached to the inlet that goes to the throttle body???

Another thing that crossed my mind, the standard alloys obviously seem way too small for the wheel arches. Is there a commonly good size people go for in mag wheels?

Excuse me while I blurt out all these questions I've built up whilst having nowhere to ask!!! :lol:

Forgot one more thing, anyone know what the ebay plug in performance chips are like? They look pretty generic and read a quote that said they could cause damage.

Thanks for your help guys! :)
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

removal of the oil pump requires disassembling the entire front end of the engine... that means your new timing belt and all.

The pump is probably shot, but the screens (especially on the 2 liters) tend to clog up quick due to lack of maintenance. You also want to make sure your car does not suffer from excessive blow-by which is a common problem with all d-tec engines...
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
mat777

Post by mat777 »

:? ..... Excessive blow-by! :?

Sorry I'll need you to explain that one to me. :oops:

--- Just drove the car today for the first time in months. Drove really well, and no issue with the oil. Pump was a little noisy for a while though the noise stopped.
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

blowby is when compression escapes past the piston rings into the crankcase... This causes the crankcase to pressurize, and "push" oil up. Common symptoms of blowby are oil seeping out the dipstick, oil in the air filter/housing, and oil at the throttle body.

Its common in Daewoos with 100k+ or low mileage engines that have been driven at slow speeds during much of its operating history.

Becareful after cleaning the sump make sure oil pressure is adequate. if you go by the idiot light, it might be too late...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
mat777

Post by mat777 »

Fortunately there's no oil in the air filter, etc, so no blowback thankfully! :)

The oil light came on today when it was idling then dissappeared when the revs were up so thinking I'll flush it again and we'll get the pump done as soon as we can afford it.
mat777

Post by mat777 »

I'll post one last time here! :D

Just a bit of interesting news. I priced and oil pump for the Nubira at a local parts shop... $769 AUD!!!!

Looked on ebay, a company from the US... Around $100 USD and around $65 postage!!!!

Our prices here are ridiculous!!! :shock:
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Well the front type pumps are expensive. Here in the US its a 400-500 dollar job labor included.
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
mat777

Post by mat777 »

Yeah, would be close to a grand with labour as well.

Gotta get it looked at though, been really good with the oil issue, then light started coming on again after a longer trip, behaving itself again now a couple days after! :?
mat777

Post by mat777 »

Hi again, Sorry I don't mean to dig up an old post but just an update on the oil pressure issue.

Took it in to a work shop who say they have seen this time and time again, it was the screen on the pick up in the sump, the oil had turned to grit and clogged up the entrance. They removed the restricting tin around it, cleaned all the sump, etc and now it runs so smooth and I'm sure it has picked up a little extra power!

ONly noticed the light flickers at idle after it's been running for a while, but it goes away every time you rev it and there is still no engine noise. I'll take it in and mention it but I've seen around that a few people have had that and it's been the oil pressure switch, none the less I'll take it in, but at least it's running so much better and there's no valve noise! :)
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

yea thats what I had mentioned in my original post. The oil pressure switch is probably full of the same gunk. It costs like 14 bucks USD new IIRC...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
mat777

Post by mat777 »

The cars fine now until it gets to operating temperature, then the oil light flickers when it's idling. It's consistently doing it when it warms up, still no obvious clicking noise but the engine does become a little less smooth and has a bit more noise than when it's cold. Light goes when it's revs are up, taking it back this week to get it looked at again. :(
mat777

Post by mat777 »

:( :( :( :cry:

Took it back in to the mechanic to check why the oil flashes at idle, no oil pressure when idling.... Crank bearings are shot! :cry:

Keeping my eyes out for a motor (then rebuild it if affordable) to replace.

Running ok for now but no long trips!