Nubira 1.5 DOHC engine specs

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Nubira 1.5 DOHC engine specs

Post by MMamdouh »

anyone know how much HP and torque does the Nubira 1.5 DOHC engine produce?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Nubira 1.5 DOHC engine specs

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It has been quite a while since we discussed the 1.5 DOHC..... wasn't it called A15DMS ?

I don't think that anyone had actual power specifications during the discussion of that engine, I have to think it's right around 100hp.

I belive the 1.5L DOHC was common in the Korean market, but I don't think there were very many outside of Korea.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hmmm.... that's funny.... I did a search for the A15DMS and found a relevant post.... you asked this exact same question three years ago

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... lit=A15DMS

According to my list posted at the end of this topic it shows....

Nubira Power ( PS / Kg-m )
A15SMS 1,498 SOHC 76.5x81.5 -- 96/5,800 14.0/3,000
A15DMS 1,498 DOHC 76.5x81.5 -- 110/6,200 14.3/4,200

So.... the 1.5L DOHC made 108.5 Horsepower ( 81 KW ) and 103.4 lb ft of torque
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Hmmm.... that's funny.... I did a search for the A15DMS and found a relevant post.... you asked this exact same question three years ago

better make it a sticky before he asks again... lol
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Cristian

Post by Cristian »

As long as I know Nubira was equiped only with the 1,6 DOHC (and other bigger ones) that produces 110-105 hp.
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Actually there were a couple 1.5l nubis, but i thought they were strictly canadian. Back when GM was running their Korean franchise of Daewoo, Izuzu, Geo etc. It was short lived, and my understanding was they had a bunch of left over 1.5l and put them to use in lax emission states.

The 1.6l replaced the 1.5 because it was more emissions friendy (egr, spfi, obd ii) as it was much costlier to convert the 1.5...
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Hmmm.... that's funny.... I did a search for the A15DMS and found a relevant post.... you asked this exact same question three years ago

According to my list posted at the end of this topic it shows....

Nubira Power ( PS / Kg-m )
A15SMS 1,498 SOHC 76.5x81.5 -- 96/5,800 14.0/3,000
A15DMS 1,498 DOHC 76.5x81.5 -- 110/6,200 14.3/4,200

So.... the 1.5L DOHC made 108.5 Horsepower ( 81 KW ) and 103.4 lb ft of torque
ohh... :oops: ... it was 4 years though

i asked because a friend of mine did the head swap indeed

yes... we do have the first Egyptian 1.5 DOHC lanos that confirmed the possibility of a DOHC head swap to replace the OEM SOHC head

we used a nubira 1.6 DOHC head (same as lanos 1.6 DOHC head) along with its intake and exhaust manifolds and some modifications for alternator shroud and other tiny bits and pieces and it is running like a dream

power increase is indeed noticeable but we have no dynos here so we can't confirm the actual power gain so this is why i asked

it is a bit strange though to see the A15SMS marked as DOHC at the lanos and SOHC at the nubira... it has to be a SOHC... also the SOHC is rated to have 96HP whereas the actual HP as per my user manual is 86HP... anyways 96 or 110 for the DOHC 1500 is not a bad number at all

again i was sure i saw the 110 HP rating a couple of times but i don't remember were... now since the project is doable and confirmed with a live car... i am really thinking of it as it is much easier than a swap and no DMV hassle for restringing an engine and all that shit... will keep you posted

i still have this question... how the hell can a 1.5 DOHC produce 4 more horses than a 1.6 DOHC?????

MMamdouh
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

MMamdouh wrote: ohh... :oops: ... it was 4 years though

i still have this question... how the hell can a 1.5 DOHC produce 4 more horses than a 1.6 DOHC?????

MMamdouh
I was just giving you a hard time :p ..... it's so rare that you ask questions.... your usually the one answering them.

As far as power..... I would assume the power increase is based upon the ECU mapping.

It's just like the 2.0L.... older ones made more power than the new ones.

The U20SED makes just 119hp, slightly older T20SED made 129hp and the ancient C20XE made 150hp.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

hang on... from what i understand here, the 16v head from the a16dms is a near on direct fit for the a15sms, which is in essence the exact same block as the a13sm...? so it stands to reason that a 1.3 16v can also be made, correct?
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... as far as i know the A13SMS is a de-stroked A15SMS so basically we both have the very same block so i don't see why it wouldn't work on your engine... it is definitely a direct swap but you will end up with an A13DMS... can you throw in a crank and conn. rod set from a 1.5 to end up with a 110HP A15DMS??

BTW the A16DMS is basically a bored A15DMS so theoretically speaking the conn. rods and crank of an A15SMS are interchangeable with an A16DMS... this is just my theory as far as stroke measurements are concerned... i never tried the fitment

given all the above hassle... why don't you drop in an A16DMS if it is found on nubiras in the UK?? it will be a far less complicated process.

MMamdouh
running_man

Post by running_man »

Hi Guys, I've the 1.5 sohc aveo (engine f15s3). would it be possible to do the cylinder head swap from a 1.6 dohc from a nubira or an optra (a16dms or f16d3) ?
they r found here in egypt...
i mean what about the electric wiring , gearbox ratios , ecu , sensors , muffler, cooling ?
what's different between the two?
so what am i gonna need to buy, modify?

and what r the costs ? i'm hoping that eng. MMamdouh will be of help.. thx in advance
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... i can confirm that it is doable on lanos 1.5 SOHC using nubira's 1.6 DOHC head... and it doesn't have anything to do with cooling system, wiring, ECU, gear ratios or exhaust... you will only need a trigger wire from ECU to actuate the VGIS system and thats it.

now i am assuming that the blocks and heads are the same on a lanos, nubira, aveo and optra then i don't see why it won't fit

the problem in daewoos is the cost... total cost of head swap is almost as much as the cost of swapping in a 1.6 DOHC so why take all the hassle of swapping the head when you can drop the engine with same cost?... this is due to the fact that you will have to buy so many parts to conclude the project as you will need:

complete head with valves/cam shafts/cam gears
complete intake manifold with TB, injectors and fuel rail
exhaust manifold
VGIS pneumatic activation system & solenoid
alternator shroud
full timing belt kit
full timing belt cover
cam cover plastic trim
spark pugs and their cables
oil breather piping (from head to pan)

all those items bought individually will cost you as much as a complete engine... or at least that was the situation with the lanos project so basically you need to assiss your project's cost given the engine swap alternative... if we are talking pure mechanics then it is certainly doable

MMamdouh
garridob

Post by garridob »

Assuming the Korean 1.5L and Egyptian 1.5L engines are the same, that factory rating is probably optimistic. My friend says they typically pull 75-80 whp on the dyno.