Aveo motor swap (1.6) into Lanos (1.6)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pollito

Aveo motor swap (1.6) into Lanos (1.6)

Post by pollito »

I hope this thread can provide some useful information regarding an Aveo swap into a Lanos. I will be adding pics of the progress and hopefully some meaningful side by side comparisons of the two motors.

Background:
I have a '99 Lanos that I picked up for a great deal sometime in 2004. It's a Lanos S hatchback with the 1.6 motor. It's been turned into the beater/autocross/rallycross car. It's been subjected to incredible abuse for the past 4 years and during a recent event, it lost oil pressure. The car actually drove, albeit making horrendous noises, for many months. A new motor is in order.

Proposition:
Buy a cheap Aveo engine. Use the Aveo block and head. Use existing Lanos electrical system, transmission, and any needed accessories.

Why the Aveo swap?
Here in Tennessee, it is hard to find a Lanos. Motors for these go for over $1000 on Ebay or otherwise. They will most likely be high mileage examples. While browsing around I noticed that the '04 - '08 Aveos seems to be plentiful both locally and on Ebay. From what I can tell, they share the same basic block and head.

Dillema:
What all is involved in he swap? I've searched around for info regarding an aveo swap into a lanos. I've not had much luck. Here is one thread with some speculation. http://daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =aveo+swap Feel free to point me towards any others.

Current Progress
I purchased an Aveo motor on Ebay a few months ago for under $500 shipped with under 20,000 on the clock. Funny story - Fedex lost the first motor in Canada somewhere. I have no idea how. They were very professional and bought another motor for me. After a few months, they gave me a call asking me if I wanted my original motor because they just found it and they had no use for it. I now have 2 great condition Aveo motors.

The old motor has been removed from the car. I am in progress figuring out what I use from the Lanos and what I use from the Aveo.
pollito

Re: Aveo motor swap (1.6) into Lanos (1.6)

Post by pollito »

Here are some pics of the Woo in action at some Autocross and Rallycross events.

Last edited by pollito on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sounds like a perfectly doable project, although I'm not sure it would have been my choice of engines to drop into a Lanos given the Aveo motor makes the same power as the Lanos motor.

I guess the big issue will come if your lanos has a front mount as opposed to the regular center mount of the Aveo.

You could weld the center mount into the lanos.... but it might be easier to swap over components from the Lanos engine to the Aveo engine.

Are you fairly experienced with regards to mechanical and electrical skills?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
pollito

Post by pollito »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Sounds like a perfectly doable project, although I'm not sure it would have been my choice of engines to drop into a Lanos given the Aveo motor makes the same power as the Lanos motor.

I guess the big issue will come if your lanos has a front mount as opposed to the regular center mount of the Aveo.

You could weld the center mount into the lanos.... but it might be easier to swap over components from the Lanos engine to the Aveo engine.

Are you fairly experienced with regards to mechanical and electrical skills?
I've done quite a few projects in the past. v8 RX-7 swap, a few Honda swaps, some turbo projects etc. I've got a welder, so anything that does not fit can be remedied.

I will be using the existing passenger side motor mount from the lanos. The aluminum Lanos motor mount bracket should mate to the front of the Aveo block just as it did on the Lanos. I have removed the Aveo mount on the timing belt side since the Lanos PS pump needs to live there.

Yeah - there are probably better motors out there, but I figured this one would be more straightforward and the Aveo motors are just so cheap and plentiful. I've got a little turbo setup going on the second motor. It's in the mockup phase. I'll put up pics of that along with side by side comparisons of all the swapping needed for this Aveo swap.
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Arn't the intake ports of the Aveo and the mounting pattern different than the Lanos? Due to the composite vs aluminum intake manifold?
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
pollito

Post by pollito »

Trey05Woo wrote:Arn't the intake ports of the Aveo and the mounting pattern different than the Lanos? Due to the composite vs aluminum intake manifold?
Yes,

I will include details with pics shortly.

Throttle Body - Aveo is 4 bolt instead of 2
Fuel Injection - Aveo is returnless and injectors mount into manifold. Lanos injectors mount directly into the head. Lanos rail and injectors do not line up on the aveo manifold.
pollito

Post by pollito »

The Woo was able to pick up the new motor under its own power. Sweet.

Some pics of the blown motor coming out. Notice the metal filings on the magnet.

Here's one of the new Aveo motors.

wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

ohhh very very nice :) never thought of a lano HB rally. makes me lol deep down inside. good luck on the swap.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

turbo that bitch too :lol:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the engines are a perfect match

engine mount and PWS pump are swappable

did something similar when we dropped a 1. into Ehab bob's lanos... the 1600 engine we used came from a nubira and that has the same engine mount setup as the aveo... swapped the engine mount with the power steering pump and everything else was a perfect fit

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Actually they are not. the Aveo uses the obdII+ generation (obd2.5) engine management system and many many thing are different. The head to begin with, as well as ecm, and wiring. That engine is not the same one found in the nubrias...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i was referring to the physical fitment part of the project

as for OBD protocols... it is not a problem at all... we already took an OBD II engine and run it as OBD I on the 2.0 nubira... we simply used the OBD I ecu and harness, discarded the cam sensor and the second O2 sensor and it was running perfectly

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Right, but your not understanding the difference: swaping an OBDI car to OBDII which originally came with both configurations to begin with, IS plug and go as Nubrias brought 1.6l single and dual cam engines OBDI or II depending on location.

The Aveo is OBD 2.5 only and that engine cannot be swapped into any Daewoo Lanos or otherwise. Believe me I have researched this as the Aveo 1.6l is plentiful at salvage yards, and the lanos not so.

Everything is different: wiring harness, ECU, location, etc. It would take MAJOR reconfiguring of the vehicle wiring to get this to work in a Woo. Not just that but the Aveo uses different transmission controls than a lanos. So if you were insane enough to swap over to Aveo engine/engine management, you would need to get the tranny too for an auto car, or it wont run. And then you got to consider cluster warning light, odometer compatibility, body control module (the aveo has one), and SRS compatibility as all these module run on the latest general motors UART communication line.

All that trouble for a newer same HP engine found in a Lanos? Not worth the hassel or cost for that matter.
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
pollito

Post by pollito »

Trey05Woo wrote:Right, but your not understanding the difference: swaping an OBDI car to OBDII which originally came with both configurations to begin with, IS plug and go as Nubrias brought 1.6l single and dual cam engines OBDI or II depending on location.

The Aveo is OBD 2.5 only and that engine cannot be swapped into any Daewoo Lanos or otherwise. Believe me I have researched this as the Aveo 1.6l is plentiful at salvage yards, and the lanos not so.

Everything is different: wiring harness, ECU, location, etc. It would take MAJOR reconfiguring of the vehicle wiring to get this to work in a Woo. Not just that but the Aveo uses different transmission controls than a lanos. So if you were insane enough to swap over to Aveo engine/engine management, you would need to get the tranny too for an auto car, or it wont run. And then you got to consider cluster warning light, odometer compatibility, body control module (the aveo has one), and SRS compatibility as all these module run on the latest general motors UART communication line.

All that trouble for a newer same HP engine found in a Lanos? Not worth the hassel or cost for that matter.
For all intents and purposes, I will really only be using the Aveo block, head, and intake manifold. I'll be using the lanos harness, ECU, PS pump, alternator, transmission, flywheel, clutch, etc etc. The only "hybrid" part will be the fuel system since the injectors mount to the intake manifold on the Aveo as opposed to the head on the Lanos. The Aveo has a different fuel rail due to the returnless fuel system. There are a few other peculiar parts on the Aveo that will need to be tweaked like the timing belt cover, alternator mount, and a few other odds and ends. If you "blow" a motor in the traditional sense (bottom end in my case due to oil pump failure which also took out the head), the core Aveo counterparts should suffice.
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Let us know how it goes man let us know how it goes. Aveo 1.6l are very plentiful in miami. If this can be done (for cheap) I can really benefit from it.
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning