Engine similar to a Lanos

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

OneRareWoo

Engine similar to a Lanos

Post by OneRareWoo »

Does anyone know of any engine that are similar to a Daewoo Lanos engine, I want to drop a new engine made by a different manufacturer in the Lanos and I am having trouble finding a similar engine that will work?
Got Woo?
nasser

swap lanos engine with onother

Post by nasser »

You can use Nissan bluebird turbo ingine(4clndr).
tango

Post by tango »

And where did you get this information that a Nissan Bluebirde engine can fit a Lanos? Sounds odd to me. I would like to hear the proof. Anyway, a more likely source would be an engine from a Pontiac Grand Am GT Turbo from around 1989, or a Pontiac Sunbird GT from a similar year. They have a turbo version of the engine as per the Nubira 2.0 Their engines are 2.0 8v units though. Good for something like 160hp. Don't waste your time trying to shoehorn a Nissan engine into your Lanos. As far as I know there is no link between the companies. Truth be told, you can make any engine work in any car..as long as you have the money to do what is necessary. But why would you want to desicrate the Lanos with that trash anyway? As I keep saying. Keep the engines in the Family (Family II, that is :lol: )
Cogito ergo sum...
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

:?: Tango!!

does the 2.0 turbo motor from the pontiac line up with the motor mounts? what about trannies? can a pontiac turbo unit be used? will the turbo motor bolt up the the daewoo motor??

Bernard
tango

Post by tango »

Wassup Bernard!
Long time no see. Welcome aboard. Now to answer your question. There's a member here from Canada, also, who has done this engine swap (though he used a Pontiac Le Mans as his vehicle of choice...same chassis as the Lanos though). I think he'd be better suited to say exactly what he had to do. But from my research our engines are actually "big block" Family II engines. Just like the 2.0 What this means is that the engine mounts, tranny, etc all bolt right up. Whether our stuff can handle the power/torque is another matter but they do fit. As for the people with auto trannies we are blessed with one of the best trannies ever to do service in a modern vehicle. Good for 200lb-ft, no problem. If you can find one of those cars you'd be good to go. All 1988 model Grand Am SE Turbos (made a mistake with the trim before calling it a GT) were automatics, but a 5 speed manual was available in 1989. 1984-1986 Sunbird GT Turbos were actually 1.8L models though. But still...TOM COME SHARE WITH THE REST OF THE FAM!!

Cogito ergo sum...
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

this is very interesting ! :D if what i read is true, then im wondering if i can save myself a load of work and see if the crank,rods,pistons will fit in the 1.6 block! if not, look into the 1.8!! :D :D this would mean a lot of time saved, not to mention cheaper!! seeing as i already have a turbo for service [mitsu TE04H] .. things will be cheaper... anyone know if the injectors from a 2.5L Turbo dodge will fit the lanos? they are 33lbs/hr.. hmm .. should be good for 15psi.. :twisted:

thanks again!
Bernard
tango

Post by tango »

Sorry about that Bernard. My research has just told me that the injectors on the 2.5 Turbo were low-impedance injectors (2.4 ohms) Daewoo injectors are high-impendance injectors. There are those that believe that you can use low impedance injectors in a high-impedance system, but it's not exactly the best scenario. I would normally forget about it. Most vehicles use Bosch-type injectors and so the conections are usually the same. Right now I have a set of 6 high-impedance injectors from a Dodge Dakota 3.9 waiting to go on my car. They are 19lb/hr and should stand up to the 6psi I want. As long as the injector you are using is high-impedance and has a Bosch L-Jetronic connector....you're fine. Test the impedance by using an ohmeter across the two connectors:

LOW IMP : 1.7 - 3.0 ohms
HIGH IMP: 10 - 16 ohms

The green and black ones are L-Jetronic connectors, the yellow one is D-Jetronic (older design, will work, but is not water-proof)
Try to avoid Toyota and Subaru injectors because some of their injectors carry a different kind of connector, even thought they are high-impedance Bosch L-Jetronic designs.

As for your idea of using other internals in the 1.6, have no clue about that. I would recommend you either boost the 1.6 or try to find one of the cars mentioned above for a donation to the FUN!! :lol:

Nice turbo you got there though...I have a TDO4. Great minds, my friend....great minds!!
Cogito ergo sum...
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

If you have a Lanos, the easiest way to do the conversion is by means of getting the 2.0 Turbo engine from 87-91 Sunbird GT Turbo or Grand-Am. It will bolt right in, and you will use your original flywheel and the gearbox, however it would be recommended to get the F20 gearbox from the Nubira 5-spd (Lanos is using weaker F16). While the swap is not that of a challenge mechanically-wise, you should be prepared to do some serious electrical work, which is not that hard :lol:

From this...

To this (in Pontiac Lemans)

Since Lanos is very much based on the Opel Kadett, the engine/gearbox mounting points are the same. Besides, the cost of the engine rebuild will be less than a plain turbokit, which you would have to modify to fit your motor.

Hope this helps :wink:

Post by gti_7 »

i went to the junk yard today.. couldnt help my self.. excited about the news i was excited and dissapointed that the lanos is a rebodied daewoo lemans.. er old old opel kadett.. but regarldless.. now i have a cars thats been around for a while so i can now find parts to cross reference! was cool though to see a the daewoo logo stamped on its intake runner though :D

and i also checked a NA 2.0 OHC sunbird.. hehe.. motor mounts same place.. same design!! cha-ching!! :wink: so.. the minds rolling..

Tango, the reason i decided to get a mitsu say compared to a garrett wich would yeild more power is due to A) the mitsu's small size. B) my small engine size B) the power range of the mitsu and C) the near insta-spool of its nature.. on a 2.2/2.5 Dodge.. power comes on at about 2000rpm and goes strong to just over 5000rpm.. just right where i would want it to be !! so.. its set up that way.. not to mention it has a 2.5" flange already.. so pipeing is not issue there.. 8)

im working on finding info right now on those pontiac turbo motors.. but its proving hard to find anything on them.. the only thing im worried about with the lanos 1.6 right now is i have to check to see what the rods and pistons look like.. if im going to run a turbo.. its going to be worth the work.. so i would eventually want to run 15 pounds.. or roughly 200+ whp!

come on! i have rice to eat! i would like a low 14, high 13second car basically with full interior and working a/c.. so.. wish me luck! :wink:

thanks for the injector info! any clue about the nissan s12 turbo injectors?
Bernard
tango

Post by tango »

My turbo was chosen for the same reason. Now Bernard, if you're gonna run that kind of boost you will no doubt be asking for trouble. I guarantee it. You would have to perhaps dish the pistons and/or use 2 or three head gaskets to lower your comp ratio enough. My advice is to go for 6 or so now, see how it works Then gradually build up to that, one adjustment at a time. As for the S12 injectors, I'm checking that. But like I said you can check if it will work by using an ohm meter on the injector. Put one probe on each of the contacts on the injector and see what the ohm meter reads. Anywhere above 10 ohms and you're on to step two. Then, just remove one of the injector connectors from your fuel rail and see if it fits. If it does then you are safe. Good luck.
Cogito ergo sum...
tango

Post by tango »

Bernard, I got some information that may be of significance. The S12 used the CA family of engines. This means that the injectors were top-feed type, like ours. What I am not sure of though is if they are high or low impedance. The info I've been looking at says that Nissan switched to high impedance injectors on all their cars after 1997. I'm assuming that before then they used low-impedance on the turbo models (as everybody seems to have been doing at the time). Theoretically if you opt for the CA20 injectors then you have a top-feed high-impedance injector that will work with our engines. But as I said before, you can look at an injector and tell if it can physically fit. But to know if they will work electronically you've got to either dig the info up, or measure the resistance across the pins on the injector. More than 10 ohms is high-impedance and will work with ours. Good luck.
Cogito ergo sum...
nasser

Post by nasser »

Use SR 20 DET engine.