Le Mans 1.6... Water pump.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Isaac

Le Mans 1.6... Water pump.

Post by Isaac »

**I don't really know were to place this topic. Feel free to move this topic. **

Car Info.

1989 Pontiac Le Mans LE
1.6L TBI OHC
No mods.

So what i need help with is... I need to replace my water pump. And its with the timing belt. So, what I'm asking is.
How do I properly set the timing belt, and a quick "how to" on how to replace the water pump. If needed, I can take pics. and post them up to see what im talking about. thanks.

thanks
Last edited by Isaac on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

did you check the how to section?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Um Not till just now... but... "Timing belt replacment on a 1.6 OHC." This is what I need. Theres a article on "Timing belt replacment on a 1.6 16 valve DOHC ".

Umm I don't know if it helps that its a 3 speed automatic.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well... you have a non-interfering engine..... and its extreemly easy to swap the water pump and timing belt ( perhaps a couple of hours even for a novice )

I know quite a bit about the Lemans 1.6L SOHC.... if the timing belt goes.... the car simply won't run.... but it won't hurt anything at all.

Basicly... if the belt breaks you just spend the $30 for a new one, line up the marks on the engine and away you go.

The water pump is simply three bolts.... and it's also the tensioner for the timing belt.... so you just loosen the bolts a bit and rotate the water pump to release the tension ( may need to modify a wrench or cut a piece of flat bar steel to make a wrench as it's a tight fit )

I have the exact info you need in a simple PDF ( about 780KB)..... PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Sweet Ill get on it
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

so i haven't thought about it till now... my car has 113+ mi. on a stock engine. so what are the chances of the water pump gasket has gone bad. or should i just change the pump as well... i haven't got the money to purchase a pump, yet alone a job. I've applied at various places and no luck yet.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is advisable to replace the pump at the timing belt replacement job to save on labor cost

MMamdouh
xxzixxerxx

Re: Le Mans 1.6... Water pump.

Post by xxzixxerxx »

I'm in the states, I have a 91' Pontiac LeMans 1.6L 3spd auto. The timing belt stripped, so i cut it out, Im having trouble getting the rest of the timing belt COVER off and I was wondering if you could send me the info you had in PDF about the timing belt and water pump replacement you posted about previously. Thanks any help is appreciated, the car was $200 and I'd really like to keep it going. Also, you said they wont hurt anything if the timing belt strips or breaks (same thing) but everywhere else I've read says the 91 is an interference motor and it will bend a valve when the motor shuts down because of an inevitable timing skip, taking the cam/valves and piston positions out of harmony is this true also or are you implying that daewoo made an interference motor that can bust a belt and not grenade itself upstairs?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

check the how to section and you will find a post detailing the timing belt job with illustrative pics

MMamdouh
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

xxzixxerxx wrote:I'm in the states, I have a 91' Pontiac LeMans 1.6L 3spd auto. The timing belt stripped, so i cut it out, Im having trouble getting the rest of the timing belt COVER off and I was wondering if you could send me the info you had in PDF about the timing belt and water pump replacement you posted about previously. Thanks any help is appreciated, the car was $200 and I'd really like to keep it going. Also, you said they wont hurt anything if the timing belt strips or breaks (same thing) but everywhere else I've read says the 91 is an interference motor and it will bend a valve when the motor shuts down because of an inevitable timing skip, taking the cam/valves and piston positions out of harmony is this true also or are you implying that daewoo made an interference motor that can bust a belt and not grenade itself upstairs?
Few Daewoo engine are non-interference.
I'm afraid you have bent valves :( . http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index ... on_id=3598 .
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

ummm ... I'm pretty sure the Lemans 1.6 is non-interference ... no offense to you, Daniel, but I'd listen to PrecisionBoost on this one - he's got several Lemans, and he knows those engines inside-out, upside-down, and backwards - he's posted some of the most informative stuff on this site.

Also, I have the factory service manual for the Lemans (I've owned 3 myself), and the engine schematics show the head to be non-interference.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

No offense, Davinci_360 8) . My info only rely on the Gates source...that may be wrong. This will be good news for xxzixxerxx too.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The 1.4 SOHC, 1.5 SOHC, 1.6 SOHC are all the same ( I know because I made a 1.6L/1.5L hybrid )

This is the SOHC replacement, sort of the same for the lemans, I don't have other diagrams here right now on this computer.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=4220

I don't know why places list it as an interference engine.... even experience mechanics get confused.

A few years back my friend ( GSiTurbo ) gets a call from a mechanic he knows fairly well.

Apparently GSiTurbo's ex-girlfriend had her Lemans timing belt break, so the shop called him to see if he had any interest in buying the chassis because they thought the engine was an interference model

Knowing the car was in good shape and not being on good terms with his ex-girlfriend GSiTurbo bought the car for $200, picked up a belt for $25 and the car was back at the shop running in perfect working order inside of an hour.

The car was mint, drove it for another three or four years before selling to me as a "drag racing chassis"
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i had the interference vs. non interference debate with Tango a few years ago and we came to the conclusion that engines with the 9.5:1 compression ratio (like the lanos) are interference engines but the engines with 8.5:1 compression (like the racer) are non interference

this was confirmed by him when he broke his timing belt and didn't get any bent valves and by my mechanic reporting that all lanoses (1.5 SOHC) that he came across with broken timing belts did have bent valves

MMamdouh
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Agreed, all low comp SOHC 1.6L are non-interference, which means any Lemans in Canada or USA is fine since they are all low compression here.

Compression is 8.6:1 and the engine spec is 74 hp 90 lb ft
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos