Going to test drive a used 99 Leganza from a private seller

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CustomVW

Going to test drive a used 99 Leganza from a private seller

Post by CustomVW »

It is a CDX, it has 47,000 miles just got t-belt and water pump this month, had fender bender and rear bumper was replaced by body shop. Thats about all I know. The seller is Korean and car has been service at a Korean body shop/service center.

I used to work at a Ford dealer back in 1999 when these came out and was always intrigued by them. I like its Lexus inspired silouette.

I am aware that there was a recall about something related to the a pillar?

I also know that there was an issue with the EGR valve soenoid not being restrained properly and possibly melting?

I also heard about fuel gauge problems, but think that was on the 2000 and 2001 models only.

I also heard that Alternator is very expensive repair, why is that? is it hard to get too?
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

pillar? geus your talkking about the engine mount that gets loose ? but once it propper thigtend it wouldnt happen again.

EGR vavle melting? lmao not europe i tell ya that :p

feul gauge problems? i have been reading this alot tbh i think it has something to do whit the gasoline you US people use?.. never had much trouble in EU and i sell the cars so dno....

Alternator? dmm not sure in my shop we revise em and always keep a couple in stock and send the old one back to fix... geus it depends where ya live and how your autoshop works?
CustomVW

Post by CustomVW »

no, the a-pillar is the post to the side of the front windshield. Apparently the was something defective about the cover for it or something like that that would cause excessive injury in an accident.
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

ah the a-pillar... well dno tbh got a wrech of a leganza in a couple of weeks ago... pretty hard crash... didnt c anything wierd from pillar?
CustomVW

Post by CustomVW »

Ok I have made peace about the crash testing issues and I have the money to buy the car, but I have a couple more questions for you leganza owners.

1. The guys doesnt have the radio code (radio is still working now, but I want to swap out the battey so I need the code b4 i can do so) how hard is it to get the code?

2.Is there any warranty left on the car that can be transfered to me? (only has 47k miles)

3.Does it have a transponder key in 1999 model CDX? or was that only on neweer models?
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

my answers are EU standerd so they could differ :p

1. EU radios never had codes in em... geus its same for you? your talking about the big radio? that holds 2 slots with a CD changer in the 2nd?
2.Warrenty in EU is 3 years .... should it be same then you have no warrenty
3.EU legaza always had a transponder key the CDX even has a alarm on the doors and a motion sensor inside

Hope this helped.. again it could be a bit difrent over there
CustomVW

Post by CustomVW »

thanks, i have agreed to by car so i guess i will be try to sort these things out when i take ownership of the car.