problem with a 2000 daewoo lanos se

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

beavis26

problem with a 2000 daewoo lanos se

Post by beavis26 »

ok here is the problem i was driving somewhere and went o shif into second gear and my car died and would not start back up the starter would make a whinning noise like a drill so i replaced the starter it does the same thing i have a brand new batery and i checked the flywheel it has no missing teeth the engine just wont crank at all any help would be nice please
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Oh... Hmmm I'm thinking you have had a dreaded timing belt snap. I wish you luck. Search the forums about timing belt snaps, but I don't think you're going to like it much.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

have you checked for spark? if you dont have spark your coil pack is prolly bad, if you do it does sound like the t/b

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

How many miles do you have on this car ?

If over 60 thousand and the timing belt has never been changed ? Chances are that it has snapped or a few teeth have gone missing. :(

Does the starter sound like it is turning over the engine really fast ? Faster than normal ? Like it would if the spark plugs were removed ?

Let us know, OK ? Were here to help dude !

Oh yeah ?
Welcome Beavis 26 !

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
beavis26

Post by beavis26 »

ok when i turn the key on all i hear is the starter from what i can hear the engine itself does not even try to crank.i was having problems getting the car in second gear so the last time i put it in second the car died and hasnt started since.it has 91k miles on it i dont know if any maintenace has been done i bought the car 2months ago
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

at 91 k if the belt hasnt been changed.... thats prolly the problem. heres an "easy" way to check if it has snapped
you need to pry the timing belt cover open a little bit and check to see if the belt is on the pullies or not

pry in the places the arrows are pointing to, but only as much as you have to, if you dont see the belt, its snapped and you need the head to be redone, if its still there, change it before you drive the car again! hope this helps, godo luck

beavis26

Post by beavis26 »

defently not the timing belt i just checked it and it actualy looks pretty new so thats out of the way and one more question could it be something electrical or something to do with the flywheel
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do you have a digicam or camera phone that does video? if so get a sound clip of the sound, that would help us diagnose your problem. also, just cause the belt looks good, doesnt mean it is, it could have also slipped, sorry i didnt mention that in my previous post.

beavis26

Post by beavis26 »

here is a video with sound listen close all you hear is the starter just click on the pic

Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Check main fuses in engine bay I bet you lost one
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it sounds like it could be a shot coil pack, do you have spark at the spark plugs?

beavis26

Post by beavis26 »

how would i see if i have spark at the spark plug would that cause the engine to not turn over and just make the starter turn over plus dosent the engine have to turn over to even check for spark i mean the only thing that turns over is the starter u can hear it in the video
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Beavis,

Daewoomofo's comment about slipped belt=highly possible.

I listened a few times to your video sound clip.
I have heard that sound before.

Following is what I think: (and for your engines sake? lets hope I'm wrong)

The crankshaft is turning. The T-belt is not snapped.

BUT !

Teeth are missing, broken off/ground off/rounded off, on the belt where it sits on the bottom of the crankshaft pulley.
Maybe 6 or 8 of them.
So what is it I think is happening ?
Your starter is turning the flywheel/crankshaft but the crankshaft pulley isn't turning the T-belt.

If me? I would remove the outside t-belt covers (a little project as you need an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt) and examine the belt in its entirety.

Another way you can check (and easier too) is:
First find two friends than remove the plastic cover on the valve cover.
than you can see the t-belt stretched across the top of the cam gears.
Have friend number one go under the front (probably have to first remove the front right/passenger side wheel and a couple of plastic splash shields)
so that person can observe the crankshaft pulley.
Now have friend number two watch the belt at the top while you hit the starter.

be careful, practice safety.

good luck
and let us know what you discover?

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

well an easy way to see if the starter is turning the engine is to watch the serpantine belt, if that moves when the engine is being cranked the engine is turning over. if its turning over to check spark heres what you do. remove 1 spark plug wire from the coil pack. get a long screw driver with a PLASTIC handle, hold the PLASTIC part with a pair of pliers with RUBBER handles (if your not carefull you will get the SH_T zapped out of you). now make the metal part of the screw driver wouch metal on the car (engine block, or what ever) and hold it close to the exposed post on the coil pack (with in a 1/4 inch) have a friend crank the engine, if its dark you can see the spark jump, but you can also just listen for it too, it will be a little "snap", check that on all posts (1 at a time), good luck and dont shock your self

Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

That to me sounds like a cambelt failure. It's spinning over very fast with no compression, similar to turning the engine with the sparkplugs removed. Hope I'm wrong though!