Engine install, alternator bracket

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Spider
Expert

Engine install, alternator bracket

Post by Spider »

Hi,

Between rainy days, I may have time to drop my new/used engine in.

I was gonna buy a new alternator for it. But after looking at my bank account ? I decided to use the old one (which was working fine)
Of course, I will install it before installing the engine. Not a problem.

What does bother me though, is alternator removal and installation after the engine is in. (If and when the old one goes out.)

The service manual says in order to remove the alternator (with engine in car) you need to remove the fuel rail.
I don't like the idea of removing the fuel-rail and the possiability of getting dirt (etc.) in injectors and/or messing up 0-rings.

Not only that ! But even with the engine out of the car? I noted that its "close" work getting the alternator off and on.

I did discover that by removing the alternator top bracket ? it made the job quite simple. But that was with the engine out of the car.

My bottom-line question here is; In order to remove the alternator (while the engine is in the car) can the top alternator bracket be removed instead of the fuel-rail ?

Anyone ever do it that way ?

Thanks in advance for any comments and thoughts.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

If i remeber looking in behind at my alternator, the whole thing has a long bolt you can take out and the same as the adjusting bolt at the top.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: Engine install, alternator bracket

Post by daewooluvr »

Spider wrote:Hi,

Between rainy days, I may have time to drop my new/used engine in.

I was gonna buy a new alternator for it. But after looking at my bank account ? I decided to use the old one (which was working fine)
Of course, I will install it before installing the engine. Not a problem.

What does bother me though, is alternator removal and installation after the engine is in. (If and when the old one goes out.)

The service manual says in order to remove the alternator (with engine in car) you need to remove the fuel rail.
I don't like the idea of removing the fuel-rail and the possiability of getting dirt (etc.) in injectors and/or messing up 0-rings.

Not only that ! But even with the engine out of the car? I noted that its "close" work getting the alternator off and on.

I did discover that by removing the alternator top bracket ? it made the job quite simple. But that was with the engine out of the car.

My bottom-line question here is; In order to remove the alternator (while the engine is in the car) can the top alternator bracket be removed instead of the fuel-rail ?

Anyone ever do it that way ?

Thanks in advance for any comments and thoughts.

:)
removing the alternator with the engine in the car is pretty easy. It's been a while since I had to wrench on mine but I know for a fact that I didn't have to remove the fuel rail.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com