Cylinder 2 Misfire.. Cant track down the cause

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

devin37354

Cylinder 2 Misfire.. Cant track down the cause

Post by devin37354 »

I was curious if you guys have any other ideas what i should check before i give up and take my Daewoo in to a shop... It is a 2002 Lanos

Sunday, I developed a misfire out of nowhere.. It wasn't there on my way to my fathers from church but as soon as I left is house it was there and very noticeable.... the check engine light was flashing and the car was running rough... It would start vibrating and wouldn't stop until i released the gas for a second... It also hesitated at traffic lights.. When I got the car to my apartment i pulled out my OBD reader and pulled 3 trouble codes.. the first code was for the cam shaft sensor and I have had that code for almost 4 years.. I usually clear it and go on... The second code was p0302.. Cylinder 2 Misfire.. and the third code was actually a pending code of p0133 (first o2 sensor).. The pending code actually went away and never made it past pending (or hasn't yet the reader doesn't even show it as pending anymore)

A little history on the car..It has a bad valve cover gasket in which i replaced last summer.. it is leaking again.. in the past the car would foul plugs or wires due to the gasket..

Here is what I have done so far..

1.) Changed cylinder 2's plug
2.) Changed Cylinder 2's wire..

The misfire is still there.. the check engine light flashes and starts blinking within one minute of starting the car so it is a pretty serious misfire.. Almost as if it is a dead cylinder..

What else should i check?? Would it be the o2 sensor or was that code only tripped because I drove it for around an hr with a pretty serious misfire?? Also please confirm the location of cylinder 2 in case i am having a memory fart.. If I am in front of the car looking at the engine cylinder 2 is the second plug from the timing belt correct??

--------------
BACK
--------------
1 2 3 4
-----------
Front
-----------

I would change all the plugs and wires and will eventually do it however I am a low income college student so I can't afford the unnecessary expenses at this time.. I am actually taking the plug wires back to Napa after I get the problem resolved 100% since they didn't fix anything at this time..

From what I have read, if it is the ignition coil, I would have 2 cylinders misfiring instead of one.. Correct?
benzino
Expert

Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire.. Cant track down the cause

Post by benzino »

According to the service manual check:
spark plugs
fuel filter
cylinder compression
injectors
and electromagnetic interference

from what you have done so far, narrow that down to a compression test
and if that's not the problem, fuel injector or filter
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you have established that this is not an ignition issue...

try swapping injector 2 and 3 and see if the misfire follows the injector or not... if it does then it is an injector issue

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

excellent idea from Mmamdouh, as always. welcome tot he club with the leaking valve cover gasket. I have done mine 3 times now and it still leaks. next time i am going to use the gasket plus some gasket material from the tube. I also had the camshaft position sensor problem come and go for sevearl years. I finally broke down and replaced the sensor and it has gone away since. If you have a problem with the ignition coil and it needs to be replaced say something. I have a brand new one in the box at home since i had a problem before too. it ended up bing a fuel issue so i didnt' use it.