timing belt change gone wrong

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sauvetds

timing belt change gone wrong

Post by sauvetds »

my buddy and i jost got done doing a timing belt change in my 01 lanos sport... we followed the service manual steps and checked the tensions marks after turning the motor over. which i think we did not follow one step right.. where you have to rotate 2 full turns i rotated it to where the pointer came twice and everything looked fine, so we put it back together and started it. it started but made a noise which come to find out was the crank puller rubbing the lower plastic. anyway while looking at the cam gears the marks were no longer lined up and the tensioner was at slack,.. im like wtf? water pump bolts tight, why/how did it get loose so we redo everything and quadrujple check this time. even went as far as unhooking the coil and cranking.. alll was well.. so we got it all back together,
now its making a lifter/ticking noise.... which my car never did before.... i am so frustrated.. is it a bent valve? could it be something else.. im going to pull the head next but just want to see what or if anyone had the same issue....thanks!
01 Lanos Sport.
Black, Black on red leather interior,
Civic Short Ram,
17"Menzari hydro wheels
20% tint
Pioneerdeck Alpine Amps JL subs
total i have into this car 1000 :)... love the mileage!
wolfsreign
Expert

Re: timing belt change gone wrong

Post by wolfsreign »

your ticking noise could be all sorts of things.
it could be a valve to a sticky lifter to something else.

when i did my overhaul, i had a bad ticking, come to find out that the lifters are semi hydralic (wanna be's) and old crummy oil was stuck inside, thus not allowing it to compress and such as it should, took them apart and put good, clean, new oil in, and havent had a ticking yet. :)

suggestion, do it inside ur kitchen where if the super super small springs bounces out, youll be able to find it.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

mine has always made a lifter ticking noise, even before and after i replaced all the valves, I think it has something to do with the cylinders.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

do a compression test... if it is consistent among all 4 cylinders then the valves are not bent... could be dirty lifter or so... you can try engine oil flush product and see if it gets better

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
sauvetds

Post by sauvetds »

well. i took the head off before doing a compression check, i was in to big of hurry lol.. so i took the car for a ride the day after the timing belt change but before taking the head off, of course the tick still there.. going up as rpm's go up of course. but it ran fine, idled fine and felt like it had more power than before the belt change, anyway.. today i cleaned the head up and put some wd40 down all the intake and exhaust ports. and no leaks through the seats, i did the test 3 different times and not a drop you could see it puddled on top of the valves.... i checked all the "lifters" it seams like only 6 of them i can move the piston in ,the others are rock hard. which leads me to believe it was a lifter issue all along... would you concour? maybe turning the motor by hand bled down the weak lifters and with no oil pressure to keep them pumped up they made noise? should you be able to move all of them? or should they be stiff?

the good thing the cylinders and pistons look great . still has a good cross hatch
01 Lanos Sport.
Civic Short Ram,
17"Menzari hydro wheels
20% tint
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

MM is talking about an actualy compression test. not a leak test. that tells you if one cyl has less pressure than another, etc.
but lifter wise.. in my exp, you shouldnt be able to move them, b.c then that means theres spaces, in which means noise.
~wolf

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

try engine oil flush product

MMamdouh
sauvetds

Post by sauvetds »

i already have the head off so i couldnt do the compression test.. so thats why i did the fluid leak test. and everything is fine there i cleaned the head. but now the lifter questions. i have them soaking in cleaner right now, the have been soaking for a few hours, and when i test each one. all but 1 of the intake side lifters./tappets i can compress with my fingers. but all of the exhaust side are stiff and cant move at all. my plan is to let them soak overnight tonight, my question is has anyone ever taken them apart and cleaned them? i found a link online that i think is universal, but it show you can take them apart,,,,, by pulling the center valve out? should i just buy new ones for the ones that dont move? i see i can get them from GM for like 10 dollars a piece instead of 23 that daewoous wants......

i chashed all my threads and gasket matched all my ports today as well..so hopefully i get a little more power out of it...
01 Lanos Sport.
Civic Short Ram,
17"Menzari hydro wheels
20% tint
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you got a DOHC engine so your lifters are different than mine (i got a 1.5 SOHC)... on my car during a head gasket change the mechanic disassembled all 8 lifters and cleaned them thoroughly and re assembled them back and it was a fairly easy job

your lifters are much smaller and unfortunately i don't know how can you disassemble them but odds are it is as easy as mine so five it a try and drain all the oil in them and clean any deposits... the lifters will sound noisy as hell when you put them back and start the engine... this is normal due to lack of oil during the start up... give it a minute or two to get refilled

MMamdouh
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

yep the bottom two pics are correct exact match. buttt this is when they get tricky.. -.- took me and my dad a while. you gotta clean them out(as you did) [[i use a sunny delight bottle and cap with gasoline and very solvent or acid based liquid for cleaning carbs. put a tappet in and shook the bottle hella crazy.]] then you take needle nose pliers and grab the small inside and pull very very steady but have a nice grip might take a few pulls and a few nics/scratches. (i did alot on mine) it's hard b.c youre actually creating a suction when pulling them apart. but without the oil in them, should be easy. then once you pull it out youll hear a pop. hehe it sounds funny. then from that (no pics sorry) the small inside has its own spring pressure system.

its hard to explain, but once you see the small inside, i used a jewlers screwdriver to pry the little cap off, and theres a SMALLLL ball bearing inside, with the SMALLEST spring i have ever seen behind it. why i said be very careful. need a small enclosed space as not to lose the parts, and vola, one tappet taken apart. then you can clean the parts with gas and air hose. put it back together how you took it apart, then i added synthetic oil to the insides as i was putting it back together as to not allow much metal against metal ware.
also, then i know its completly clean fresh oil in them, and i did a few squeezes on the tappets when i put them fully back together.

all done. :)
~wolf

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

nice work man

MMamdouh
sauvetds

Post by sauvetds »

ok just got everything back together, i took the lifters apart and cleaned them as above, 1 i couldnt get apart at all,. wrecked 2 pairs of pliers trying lol.. so i bought a new one from GM, anyway after i got it all together, i started it. and it was ticking really good for a couple minutes then got a little quieter, i took it around for about 20 miles and the car runs and drives smooth, idle is smooth but the tick is still there. it seems like it will get louder and quiter. for awhile it was almost gone, that was when i came right off the freeway, but drivin 5 or so miles, it was decently loud, you cant here it inside its very minimal. and cruising you cant hear it either,
does the car just need to be run more? too much air in the lifters? oh and i also put fresh oil and some mystery oil in right before i started it.

thanks again hopefully it goes away soon,.lol
01 Lanos Sport.
Civic Short Ram,
17"Menzari hydro wheels
20% tint
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i think with time it will get quite... mine was as loud as hell during first start and actual didn't get quite until the engine was off for a while then back on again

MMamdouh
sauvetds

Post by sauvetds »

so after 150 miles of mixed driving it is still there not really a loud tapping but tapping nontheless, it still has the new oil and marvel mystery oil in it. the power is good,doesnt miss. or run weird at all which is nice, but that dang noisy engine, make me frustrated, since all was well before changing that timing belt...
01 Lanos Sport.
Civic Short Ram,
17"Menzari hydro wheels
20% tint
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

are you sure its not a cracked exhaust manifold? i know that when my lanos had a crack in the exhaust mani it ticked. its just an idea

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!